Number of workstations to be backed up RRS feed

• Question

• In the original version of WHS, there was a limit of 10 workstations backed up.  Is that the same in 2011?  If so, how can more be backed up?
    • Moved by Ken Warren Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:40 PM WHS 2011 question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:01 PM

Answers

• 10 is still the limit for Windows Home Server 2011. If you need to back up more, you can set up a second server, or you can use the Windows storage Essentials 2008 R2 or Small Business server 2011 Essentials SKUs instead of the Windows Home Server SKU. The former will only be available through OEMs (no system builder pack at all), while the latter doesn't have the media handling capabilities, and costs significantly more (around $400 for system builder packaging, IIRC). Both o0f the business related SKUs can be joined to an AD domain, and the SBS-E SKU can serve as PDC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:53 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• 10 is still the limit for Windows Home Server 2011. If you need to back up more, you can set up a second server, or you can use the Windows storage Essentials 2008 R2 or Small Business server 2011 Essentials SKUs instead of the Windows Home Server SKU. The former will only be available through OEMs (no system builder pack at all), while the latter doesn't have the media handling capabilities, and costs significantly more (around $400 for system builder packaging, IIRC). Both o0f the business related SKUs can be joined to an AD domain, and the SBS-E SKU can serve as PDC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Theo van Elsberg Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:53 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:40 PM
  • The only difference being you can archive old computer backups and not have them count against your 10 total active backups.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:12 PM