Vail Connector, install failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Set up my Vail test rig a few days ago.
    Now when I'm trying get the Connector running, as described in documentation, installation fail with a blank dialog box with a red error symbol and an OK button, nothing else.

Searched this forum with no luck ("vail" and "connector" in search subject gets no result) and tried setting my Region on server and client to United States, no difference.

Any ideas or solutions?

Edit: this is from Win7 64-bit client. Other clients are 32-bit, and on a different local network (direct on DSL-modem, bridged mode. Test client and Vail are on a router wire connected to the modem).

WHS on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3 GB RAM, a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool...
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Now when I'm trying get the Connector running, as described in documentation, installation fail with a blank dialog box with a red error symbol and an OK button, nothing else.

Searched this forum with no luck ("vail" and "connector" in search subject gets no result) and tried setting my Region on server and client to United States, no difference.

Any ideas or solutions?

Edit: this is from Win7 64-bit client. Other clients are 32-bit, and on a different local network (direct on DSL-modem, bridged mode. Test client and Vail are on a router wire connected to the modem).

WHS on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3 GB RAM, a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool...

First, please file a bug report on Connect.

Have you been able to install the connector software on any client?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:58 AM
  • The client machine is Windows 7 Home Premium English 64-bit (Family pack edition, only available in English to my knowledge), with Sweden as regional setting.

Tried with United States as region, no luck.

Hi,

Firstly could you please file a bug report on Connect as Kariya suggested?
    I think the red Dialog box with no text is possibly caused by a non-English-us OS language. Did you reboot the client after changing the language settings? You should then at least get the connector as far as asking for the server password.
    See also this thread.

"Officially" only the language setting should matter.
    However, I had have had problems connecting on all clients I tested. All (XP, Vista, Win7 32-bit) with English-US OS language, but regional settings set to "Dutch" (time/date/etc formats). Setting regional settings to English-us solved this problem.
    After settting regional settings, please check "C:\Program Files\Windows Server" for any leftovers from privious connector installs and remove them before rebooting the client and running the connector software from http://{servername}/connect.

I have one client that refuses to connect to the server no matter what I try. I suspect maybe this is because the OEM installed OS (XP Home Edition factory reset) is English-UK based. Not sure about this. Still looking for a solution or work arround.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Any ideas or solutions?

First, please file a bug report on Connect.

Have you been able to install the connector software on any client?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Hi,

VAIL preview only supports clients with English-US language settings.
    Dis you check the regional settings on the client?

- Theo.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Theo,

The client machine is Windows 7 Home Premium English 64-bit (Family pack edition, only available in English to my knowledge), with Sweden as regional setting.

I still have to try one of the laptops with 32-bit Win7 (English also, only the wife's laptop has got swedish Windows), maybe I'll find the time later today. And I'll register a bug report as kariya21 suggested.

/correction above

A WHS v1 machine in the basement + Vail on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+, 3 GB RAM, a mixed setup of harddrives in and outside the storage pool...
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:30 PM
  • The client machine is Windows 7 Home Premium English 64-bit (Family pack edition, only available in English to my knowledge), with Sweden as regional setting.

Hi,

Firstly could you please file a bug report on Connect as Kariya suggested?
    I think the red Dialog box with no text is possibly caused by a non-English-us OS language. Did you reboot the client after changing the language settings? You should then at least get the connector as far as asking for the server password.
    See also this thread.

"Officially" only the language setting should matter.
    However, I had have had problems connecting on all clients I tested. All (XP, Vista, Win7 32-bit) with English-US OS language, but regional settings set to "Dutch" (time/date/etc formats). Setting regional settings to English-us solved this problem.
    After settting regional settings, please check "C:\Program Files\Windows Server" for any leftovers from privious connector installs and remove them before rebooting the client and running the connector software from http://{servername}/connect.

I have one client that refuses to connect to the server no matter what I try. I suspect maybe this is because the OEM installed OS (XP Home Edition factory reset) is English-UK based. Not sure about this. Still looking for a solution or work arround.

- Theo.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:09 PM