Modeling Inheritance with CRM Entities RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to embark on a fairly complicated CRM customization.  In our system, we have the concept of an Application.  However, there are multiple types of applications that each have their own distinct sets of fields.  I'm leaning toward creating an Application entity with some basic common fields that is related to the Customer, then having an XApplication entity for each application type that is related to the generic Application.  Can anyone offer guidance as to whether this is a workable approach?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds like a good approach to reduce complexity; in this way you will get simpler forms; and from the Account module; you will get them all in the same navigation folder.

In fact you are doing n:n relationship as we did with 3.0; instead of using the out-of-the-box n:n in 4.0.

You might still have to swap around in your connection form; but much less then if you had one big one.

Morten

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like a good approach to reduce complexity; in this way you will get simpler forms; and from the Account module; you will get them all in the same navigation folder.

In fact you are doing n:n relationship as we did with 3.0; instead of using the out-of-the-box n:n in 4.0.

You might still have to swap around in your connection form; but much less then if you had one big one.

Morten

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:15 PM
  • I have the similar model here, I'm wondering what is the best approach regarding inserting and updating records? From end user point of view. all attributes should be available in one form.

I have a thought, to have IFrame with common entity attributes in each of the children entities. but i'm still trying to figure out a way to call the common save 1st then get the ID for the child entity save.

any thoughts? 

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:18 PM