Error: Specified user name does not exist RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When logged into WHS2011 remotely I can see all my computers listed and log into 2 of them but one keeps returning the error below. I've tried creating new users in WHS2011 hoping that I would be prompted for login info when trying to remote in but no luck. Any ideas? 

Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:09 AM

All replies

• Have you made sure that the display name (shown on the login screen when yo're sitting in front of the computer) and the actual user name (which you'll need to use to connect from afar) are the same? If you have, are you using special characters in that user's password?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Everything matches. I can also log into the WHS Remote Web Access page and Connect to other computers where the logins don't match. The difference is they will prompt me for login info and connect. The one that doesn't connect gets to the "securing remote connection" stage and then returns the error I mention above. Is there anything on the client systems that would prevent WHS from connecting?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:42 AM
  • On the computer that isn't connecting you could try typing in the start orb, search area, "Credential Manager". When CM is open look under "Generic Credentials" this is where past login information for that computer might be. If there is something there you can click on it and it will open allowing you to Remove from Vault.

I had this happen during beta testing when I accidently checked remember me in an area to connect to a computer from WHS Remote Web Access. It would give me a similar error and would never bring up the login screen for me to put the information in.

Just a thought.
    --
    Don

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:14 AM