How do I archive WHS backups of individual PCs? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to archive select PC backups. How can this be done?

Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:33 PM

All replies

• If by archive you mean save a particular backup on other media, rather than in your server's backup database, there is nothing built into Windows Home Server to facilitate this, and the backup database is not organized so that you could do it by hand. The closest you will be able to come is to restore a backup to a disk, then store that disk. The disk could be a virtual hard drive mounted in a virtual machine, if you like.

If by archive you mean mark a particular backup in the database to be kept without regard for the normal retention policies, you can simply select a computer, view backups, and change the status of the backup you wish to keep. You should keep in mind, however, that there are a variety of things (disk errors, users making changes from the server desktop, etc.) that could result in corruption of the backup database. In that case, some or all backups will normally be lost, and that will potentially include any backups you've flagged for archiving.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:13 AM
  • I like the "restore to a drive then store that drive" idea a lot.

I like it way better if I can make "that drive" a partition on an external (usb) drive!  Can it be so?

Thx much,
    RG

Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Yes, you can restore to an external drive. However, you will need to remember that Windows Home Server generally can't restore to a partition that's smaller than the original one that was backed up. So if your backed up disk is 500 GB, you will need a partition that's 500 GB or larger to restore it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by tech lab Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by tech lab Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:47 AM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Ken, you rock!
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hummm..  I tried saving a recent whole backup of PC1 (320G HDD, w/ 150G data) to a new empty folder (\PC1) on a 2T external HDD.
    I got an error window entitled "Error copying file or folder" with an error message of "Cannot copy file".

I then tried copying only selected folders, same thing.

I then tried copying a single random file which worked.

I moved the external HDD to a different PC with all the same results.

I then tried a different external 2T HDDand again all results exactly the same.

Any ideas, mate?
    Thanks!

Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:45 PM