WHS Vail - Recovery of a partition deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Problem started when I accidentally deleted partition of one WD drive. This operation have been done with computer management GUI of WHS. (I was looking in SAN options and stuff)

I seek for the best advice to resolve my situation wich is : I Installed WHS Vail for testing but finally end-up using it at home. I try different things on this machine to teach myself and explore server mecanics. I played around with roles and features. Vail user friendly GUI is not working at this moment.

My config is one small HDD exclusively for Server system and 2X WD 1T in storage pool used to put stuff and a backup HDD Seagate (2TB) added to pool as backup.

First I tought this would be pretty simple to fix by just reloading backup FAT to actual FAT. I soon realize that the file structure was not typical and no recoverable files could be found with testdrive. I search for a way or a tool to reload the right FAT or rebuild my drive and get back everything in order.

I do have a backup of my data pool but it is a bit old i would prefer having my drive backontrack.

I have done my homework by studing new extended drive, dynamic disk i found no solutions or how-to. Is there a way to fix my drive so 1 can access my data.

Thank you for support !

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:43 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• To restate: You used the standard Server 2008 Disk Management MMC snap-in to delete a partition from one of the physical drives in your Vail server's storage pool?

I'm sorry, but if you've already tried disk recovery software and failed, probably there will be no way to recover your deleted partition with data intact. The Vail version of Drive Extender manages disks and data in a fashion very different from V1; data is allocated on disks in 1 GB blocks which are then added to a "drive". All of this happens at a level well below the file system. When you deleted the partition on the physical drive, you probably destroyed your Vail "disks" and data on them just as thoroughly as if you'd taken a physical disk out of a computer and smashed it with a hammer. Anything on the disk where you deleted the partition is therefore irrecoverable.

You can try physically removing the disk that you didn't mess around with, then reinstalling Vail, then connecting the disk to the new installation. It may mount as something like "Non-default server storage" (in the dashboard); if it does, you'll be able to access any files you can still recover through the server's C: drive, where the disk should also have mounted as "Non-default server storage".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:53 PM

All replies

• To restate: You used the standard Server 2008 Disk Management MMC snap-in to delete a partition from one of the physical drives in your Vail server's storage pool?

I'm sorry, but if you've already tried disk recovery software and failed, probably there will be no way to recover your deleted partition with data intact. The Vail version of Drive Extender manages disks and data in a fashion very different from V1; data is allocated on disks in 1 GB blocks which are then added to a "drive". All of this happens at a level well below the file system. When you deleted the partition on the physical drive, you probably destroyed your Vail "disks" and data on them just as thoroughly as if you'd taken a physical disk out of a computer and smashed it with a hammer. Anything on the disk where you deleted the partition is therefore irrecoverable.

You can try physically removing the disk that you didn't mess around with, then reinstalling Vail, then connecting the disk to the new installation. It may mount as something like "Non-default server storage" (in the dashboard); if it does, you'll be able to access any files you can still recover through the server's C: drive, where the disk should also have mounted as "Non-default server storage".

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:53 PM
  • good night have a disk that was part of a server on windows home server and disk system vail died . I need to recover data that was in the pool with a 1TB disc , installed this same disk on another computer as I did in this post : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b - 4B7F - a0d5 - 8e573697777f but the disc appears to me with the name and the space with a 32.7Mb . txt in there with the following message: Belongs to his hard drive storage system from the Windows Server Code Name " Vail " . Do not change any data on this drive . Visit to learn more about http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=182217 Windows Server Code Name " Vail " .

Can someone help me ?
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:48 PM
  • See above, where I tell you how to mount this disk and access any files remaining. Do this within the next 4 days, as Vail will expire on the 10th, and the data will be completely unrecoverable after that.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hello. I dont think everything will be lost after expiration. Mine is already expired (about two weeks ago) due to wrong date on my server. 

But I agree that the problem described abow is best to be solved before expiration because dashbord will stop working.

What happens is the following:

Most services will stop. Imposible to start agin.

Dashbord will stop working. (making it imposible to use backup/ restore, User manager will not work)

The server will go into bluescreen every hour with a message that the licence has expired.

The shares will still work, and users can log in and work as normal (for one hour until blusecreen)

I was able to move all my data, but it took a long time due to the bluescreen. I mounted an eSata disk localy and did a Robocopy.

Gorginali
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 11:17 PM