How much will the Firewall let me know?? RRS feed

• Question

• I am just wondering if the firewall will alert me if someone is trying to hack my computer?

Also, If someone has my IP and is trying to veiw  and monitor my browsing on the net, and/or has software to do this will I be alerted?? 

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:15 AM

Answers

• OneCare will not alert you about any inbound connection attempts - they will be blocked unless the ports are open in the firewall rules. The second part of your question is basically the same. Unless you have specifically opened the ports on the firewall to allow someone access to your PC, they are blocked.

Note, however, that software that you are running can open a port in the firewall - the allow prompt will occur from OneCare - if you allow the traffic, in theory, someone now has access. That's how a Trojan works - it gains access because you "install" it and allow it to run. It then opens the firewall and lets the intruder in. OneCare should protect against all of that.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:02 PM

All replies

• OneCare will not alert you about any inbound connection attempts - they will be blocked unless the ports are open in the firewall rules. The second part of your question is basically the same. Unless you have specifically opened the ports on the firewall to allow someone access to your PC, they are blocked.

Note, however, that software that you are running can open a port in the firewall - the allow prompt will occur from OneCare - if you allow the traffic, in theory, someone now has access. That's how a Trojan works - it gains access because you "install" it and allow it to run. It then opens the firewall and lets the intruder in. OneCare should protect against all of that.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:02 PM
  • The reason OneCare does not do it, because it can lead to denial of service attacks. Imagine someone in a public place sending whole bunch of traffic to your computer. You may get so many pop-ups that you may not be able to use your computer at all.

Thanks

Neeraj

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:05 AM
  • Ah Yes this sounds Familiar with the combine efforts of Wloc 2.0 Windows network security measures and the routers nat & password DSA didn't get very far.  

NeerajGarg wrote:

The reason OneCare does not do it, because it can lead to denial of service attacks. Imagine someone in a public place sending whole bunch of traffic to your computer. You may get so many pop-ups that you may not be able to use your computer at all.

Thanks

Neeraj

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Am I opening a port in the firewall if I am signed in a chat room like "paltak" for example, or again I would be notified if any hacking attempt happen and someone is trying to reach my computer, also, about the "ports" , could they be initiated without my permission, by browsing the net and just by openning a webpage?

thanks

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:58 PM
  • When you use a chat room on the web, it is using your browser connection, which is allowed through the firewall already. If the chat room requires the use of other software and that software requires its own network connection, if it is a known "safe" program, it will be allowed.

The firewall does not notify you of inbound hacking attempts as they can't get past the firewall. If you downloaded a program and allowed it to have access to the network, it could, in theory, be exposing the PC to hacking if that software that you allowed was remote control software, for example.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Is  "paltalk" a remote control software, or does it have such capabilities?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I'm not familiar with that software or site, but my guess is that it is not capable of allowing remote control.

-steve

Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:56 PM