Leagal piracy RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running a legally pirated version of Windows XP (pro corporate, possible hack).  The reason I say it's leagal is because I obtained it from fellow pirate and coworker Dave Braden, one of my best friends, and have been using it fairly appropriately to the volume licence key(s) at the workplace we worked at together which primarily uses the .net architecture and has purchaced volume licence keys for the fine software of Microsoft.

Have I committed illegal piracy?  I do not know, but I would be willing to speak openly and/or be a plaintiff in the matter, although I would plead innocent to any crime regarding my computer use other than perhaps a petty offense if there is a law here in Colorado that I don't know about regarding appropriate computer use.

It may be a good idea to consider the idea of legal piracy in the technology development.  I can say that as a genuine Microsoft user (I even have a win98 bar code on the side of my computer) that I appreciate the new validation technology very much, and as a software pirate I can say that Microsofts business practices have never been suable that I know of unless the company volunteered for suing and it was good for their software studio.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 7:58 PM

Answers

• In order to determine if have a genuine or non-genuine version of Windows, download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool, then click on "Copy to Clipboard", then paste the results as a post to your original thread in this newsgroup.

Download the MGA Diagnostic Tool:  

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

BTW, there is no such thing as "legal piracy". 

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 8:33 PM
  • From the information provided in the MGA output it does in fact appear you are running a blocked Volume License Key on your computer. If you follow the prompts when receiving the error message it will provide you with options available to acquire a genuine Key . As far as legal issues you would have to contact the Microsoft legal department to address those concerns.

hth

davar

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:53 PM

All replies

• In order to determine if have a genuine or non-genuine version of Windows, download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool, then click on "Copy to Clipboard", then paste the results as a post to your original thread in this newsgroup.

Download the MGA Diagnostic Tool:  

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

BTW, there is no such thing as "legal piracy". 

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 8:33 PM
  • Keep in mind that there is a grey zone legally here, which is demonstrated by the copyright infringement rampant in both the music and software industries.  It's legal to install your computer game on your friends computer for you and your friend to play it... but it's illegal for your friend to download a hacked version of that same game for you and your friend to play if the download violates software copyright law.

If I have rights to a legal version of Windows XP Pro Corporate then who is to say it is illegal for me to have a hacked version of the same software?  Any law one would quote to demonstrate the illegality of hacking legal software would either be from a licence agreement or a recently enacted law.

At any rate, the reason I posted this here was out of intent to serve Microsoft, not to argue with you.  I just think that the idea that piracy is necessarily always illegal is going to get you into trouble as a corporation.  Remember, you provide the base operating system software for the IBM/PC, including an excellent web browser.  www.thepiratebay.org is not an underground website.  If any software is legally piratable, it's the software that is needed to run the basic functions of your computer.  If you disagree with this as a corporation in policy and product then speaking as a young representitive of the digital age, I think you may find your future market share decreacing more than you might realize.

The act of posting the following data in this thread is very much akin to the act of piracy in a practial way.  Piracy is usually accomplished by copying and sharing techniques and software.  There is rarely any hacking involved.  Download, copy, paste, share.  These are the acts of piracy.

Following is my OS data as requested.  I have been using this install for a number of years now and own a legit copy of Windows.  I've recently purchaced a Microsoft product, (Visual C#.Net: Step By Step) and own Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows 98 and have an install of Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003 which I use for education and is acquired from the same Microsoft Certified development studio mentioned earlier.  It should be noted that "FVGA.???" (i dont remember the extension) is a file that does not copy from the burned CD I have of the operating system in question.  The Windows Product Key written on that CD is YVGKQ-B7QYX-WWPBR-M7T2R-PB8BM.  I hope I have not committed a crime, and I do not understand why I would be on trial.  But like I said, I would be willing to plaintiff in the matter, I just wouldn't plead guilty to any computing crimes of which I am aware, including copyright infringment.  I am aware that I may have violated a Terms of Service agreement.  I know I don't need to volunteer this information, but I have (or had at one point, I might have lost it) somewhere in the mass of my data storage a list of 10 Windows XP Pro Corporate CD Keys.  I don't see how posession of this could be considered illegal if I am a valued Microsoft customer, and I've never used any of those keys I don't think.  Wait, actually, my current key is one of them, I think.

I am also aware of a technique to bypass the Windows Update blocking of blocked Volume Licence Keys, but I've no burning desire to attempt to implement it - I approve of the blocking of windows update for illegally or questionably obtained windows software.  I would be willing to garner information on the current runaround technique to Microsoft Corporation were it desired, free of charge.  I would question the illegality of any of my actions under common law, and I don't think I have committed any crimes with my computer.

Kevin R. Emery's current Operating System:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-PW3CH-DXRGD-G8YJT
    Windows Product Key Hash: u2vN4zknSiNl1XvwLKGeK13nowg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-643-6956943-23859
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: cdf4561a-9330-4763-88a4-72ccf6854f48
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.3.254.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: 7E90FEE8-165-80004005_B4D0AA8B-511-80004005

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>cdf4561a-9330-4763-88a4-72ccf6854f48</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-G8YJT</PKey><PID>55274-643-6956943-23859</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-1645522239-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1005</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030508000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D178379F0184206B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:31 PM
  • From the information provided in the MGA output it does in fact appear you are running a blocked Volume License Key on your computer. If you follow the prompts when receiving the error message it will provide you with options available to acquire a genuine Key . As far as legal issues you would have to contact the Microsoft legal department to address those concerns.

hth

davar

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:53 PM