Vertical Pano troubles RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to do some vertical panos inside a cathedral, but am having difficulty getting the vertical columns perfectly vertical and without kinks! I am using maximum wide angle for the shots and wonder whether lens barrel distortion is proving a problem for ICE ? Perhaps a longer focal lenght might help? Can ICE cope with converging verticals, or am I expecting too much from my kit and software ?

John F

Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:03 AM

All replies

• You might get better results by changing the projection that ICE uses to flatten the image.  Click on Tools > Orientation (or the cube icon in the toolbar), then change the projection dropdown to "perspective" or one of the other settings.  You can also drag the image in different places to rotate around the three axes.  Let us know if that helps.

Eric Stollnitz, Interactive Visual Media Group, Microsoft Research

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Have fiddled with all the settings, and yes I have improved things quite a bit. Probably to 99.5 % !

Unfortunately, with such a subject (masses of vertical lines) your eye is draw to the slightest fault in the columns.

I did guess it might be the distortion of the lens (kit lens set to 24mm) I did some tests and in Photoshop found I needed to correct the barrel distortion (Lens Correction/ Remove Distortion using +6) However even after using the these 'perfect' images, i could not achieve perfection. The Cathedral is huge however.

Thus my present conclusion is that that either my technique is lacking or ICE is not quite up to the task. I would point out that I do try to be as accurate as possibe. I use a tripod accuaretly set up and took 3 rows of 6 vertically.

Hope thus helps

John Forrester

John Forrester

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:51 PM