Moving WHS 2011 client backups to new server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to setup a new custom built WHS 2011 to take over from the old HP Media Smart (also running WHS 2011). Is it possible to move the client backups over to the new server? Anything I need to make sure setting the new server up if I want a smooth move? I need to call this new server something different from the old once since both need to be in the network while I copy data over.
    Pål Andreassen
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• You should be able to restore the backup database from the old Windows Home Server 2011 server to the new one without any real problems. You might, however, need to restore from the desktop, using the GUI interface or the wbadmin command line tool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:19 AM
  • How would I go about backing-up and restoring the backup database? Just perform a "normal" server backup on the Client Backup folder?
    Pål Andreassen
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:37 AM
  • About update on the specific backup and restore steps?  When I tried this in the past, I could restore the client backup files to the filesystem on the new server but the backup DB would never acknowledge that their were any backups on the new system.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:58 PM