Can I Install windows home cd on new hard drive and use windows media licence to install it ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi to all of you i'm after a little help what it is that a friend of mine's pc has gone down big time and i'm going

to fix it for her.Well the pc had windows media center on it but it didn't come with the CD so that's the problem

well I want to format hard drive and install windows home as I have that as the full install disc but I need licence

key as her pc has the licence key sticker on side of pc so its a genuine id key but what I like to know can I use that

licence key on the windows home install ?

If not can any one tell me where I can get install cd of windows media centre as I have the licence key reg. to her.

Thanks Darran

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:10 PM

Answers

• The Windows XP Media Center product key affixed to your friend's PC is only valid with the PC manufacturer's recovery method.  It will not work with any other version of Windows XP.  You'll need to contact the PC manufacturer and request a Windows XP Media Center recovery disc.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:17 PM

All replies

• The Windows XP Media Center product key affixed to your friend's PC is only valid with the PC manufacturer's recovery method.  It will not work with any other version of Windows XP.  You'll need to contact the PC manufacturer and request a Windows XP Media Center recovery disc.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:17 PM
  •  

Thank's I will look into it now thanks for the info i have to get one of the disc's just the pc wont boot up just stay at dos boot up black and white screen took backup batterie from mother board and put new one in worked once then just frozze in same place as before warmed batterie up work again then stopped and still stays in dos boot up bit with the pess del for setup , esc to carry on booting and f ? for something as well but you press the keys any of them and still nothing happens jjust frozze so if any one else can help instead of me re formating the drive and trying that maybe so can help me ?

Thanks Darran

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:10 AM