Client Backup Unsuccessful RRS feed

• Question

• All apologies if this has already been answered -- I've looked through a dozen threads with no successful answer thus far.

I am running WHS 2011, and have been running scheduled backups on two Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) clients for months now.

As of a few weeks ago, one of the clients has stopped backing up, and won't do scheduled or manual backups.  The other client continues to back up normally.

The details WHS gives me are:

On the "Local" volume, "Backup did not succeed" and "Backup did not start on this volume."

On the "Local C:" volume, "Cannot read the information on the drive you want to back up."

I've rebooted both the WHS and the client.

I've run chkdsk on the client's C:/ drive, and it comes back clean.

I've deleted all shadow copies on the C:/ drive.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS Connector software.

I tried to restore the client to the last backup, and that failed, too.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by ThisGuyNYC Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:28 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:27 PM

All replies

• On the client that won't back up, run chkdsk on all partitions on all the installed drives. Just running it on C: is probably not sufficient.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for your reply -- I'm not entirely sure how to run chkdsk on a partition within c:.

FWIW, I have an unnamed partition (Status listed as Healthy (OEM Partition), 39MB) and one listed as RECOVERY (Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition), 9.88 GB).

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:57 PM
  • There is no partition within C:

Your physical hard disk is divided into partitions such as OEM, RECOVERY, C: and maybe others. Have a look in Disk Management to find out how your disks are partitioned.

Did you change your hard disk? Or did you change the partitions?

Luc.

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Luc, you're right, there are only three partitions:  C:, RECOVERY and OEM.

I did not change my hard disk or the partitions.

I just don't know how to run chkdsk on the partitions.

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:14 PM

• I just don't know how to run chkdsk on the partitions.

In Disk Management, right click on the partition you want to check and select Properties. Then select the Tools tab and then "Check now". You will need to schedule the check for a boot.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:16 PM