RAID 5 all the way or is there specific Folder Duplication available? RRS feed

• Question

• I definitely want to have my folders that contain photos and video duplicated on the server, as that will be the primary storage location.  --I will be doing occasion offsite backups.

However, I see no need to duplicate backups from the clients connected to the server.

1/ Can I pick and chose which folders will be duplicated?

I can't seem to find anywhere that I can do that, so assuming no, and then wanting redundancy on one machine, it looks like Raid 5 from what I'm reading.  My build will have:

-ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 MATX MB/i5-2500K/8GB Ram

-Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 160GB SSD

-4 X Seagate Constellation ES ST32000644NS 2TB HD

The motherboard has 4X3gb and 2X6gb Sata, all Intel (no Marvel) 

I'm thinking of having the ssd for the OS,  Raid 5 on the 4HD (4X3gb Sata), DVD/BR on the 6th Sata.

Besides being overkill on the Hardware, any words of wisdom prior to the install and when setting up the HD's?

Do I for sure want to go down the path of Raid 5 or take my time for this and have all the HD's as IDE or ACHI and take a look at the Drive Bender or Stablebit DrivePool?

--I'm being optimistic about some cool add-ins being created for whs2011, like maybe auto transcoding like the HP did, and also setting it up as a remote server for my kids to keep their photos/vids...

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:52 PM

Answers

• There is no folder duplication in Windows Home Server 2011. Your best bet is to use hardware RAID for single-disk redundancy, either through RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 5 (striping with distributed parity).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:13 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• There is no folder duplication in Windows Home Server 2011. Your best bet is to use hardware RAID for single-disk redundancy, either through RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 5 (striping with distributed parity).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by danieldjb Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:13 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Thank you very much for a very firm answer that I've been trying to find! I've got time to fiddle and looking forward to it.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:13 AM