none
System disk failing - no option to re-install RRS feed

• Question

• My system drive has a number of bad sectors and has created backup issues. After running chkdisk a few times it will now not boot the server. I have a brand new 500gig drive to install in its place. I attempted to put this new SATA drive in SATA slot 1 on a ASUS A8N motherboard (no option to use it as an IDE drive in Bios). When booting from the install CD my new drive shows up as disk 1 and my second disk (WD 1TB drive that has been storage) shows up as disk 0. Because of this I do not have the option to re-install, only new install.

If I leave the failing disk in place it shows up as disk 0 and both data and sys partitions show up but I still only get the new install option. My drives are showing up by name and size but I can't seem to figure out how to get the new drive as the disk 0 drive which I believe would now give me the re-install option.

At this point I am contemplating disconnecting the storage drive and booting with the new drive and do a fresh install. After that re-boot with the storage drive connected and do a re-install. Is this my only option at this point? I also do regular backups of the server itself on an external USB drive. I have a backup from a couple of days ago on that drive. How do I incorporate that into the re-install process and what is that server backup really doing for me?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• I have one system drive, and one storage drive.  The system drive is the one to be replaced.  It is plugged into the first SATA port labeled 1.  There are four SATA ports and they start at one and end of four. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N, it has no option to set to Legacy/IDE.  I checked on the ASUS forums.  Both the new system drive and the old storage drive are showing up at the installation screen, just in the wrong order, the new system drive is drive 1, the old storage drive is drive 0.

In that case, try switching the ports the drives are connected to.  (It shouldn't work, but what the heck.  Pretty much everything you've done so far shouldn't have worked, and yet it did.  Might as well try it.  :)  )

I am using an OEM disk purchased less than one month ago.  My evaluation period ran out so I bought and did a re-installation of the server with no issues using these very same drives.  The drives showed up no installation of any drivers at all! I had some other issues and did another re-installation again with no problems.  Been working fine for a month (after the re-install) until the system disk started having errors which I found by backups failing.

So the server backups themselves (not the client backup) can be used after an installation?

Yes.

I have done a successful client re-install after a hard drive failure, worked beautifully.  I just don't have a grasp on how the server backup itself is applied.
    The Help function in the WHS Console should give you details on how to restore data from a server backup.
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:33 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:49 AM
  • My system drive has a number of bad sectors and has created backup issues. After running chkdisk a few times it will now not boot the server. I have a brand new 500gig drive to install in its place. I attempted to put this new SATA drive in SATA slot 1 on a ASUS A8N motherboard (no option to use it as an IDE drive in Bios). When booting from the install CD my new drive shows up as disk 1 and my second disk (WD 1TB drive that has been storage) shows up as disk 0. Because of this I do not have the option to re-install, only new install.

To clarify: you have a total of 2 hard drives in your storage pool (neither are used for backing up your server) and they are both SATA?  If that's correct, make sure your new hard drive is plugged into the first SATA port on the mobo (usually labeled "port 0" on the board) and the other one is plugged in "port 1" (or anything else).  (Frankly though, I'm surprised you see any drives on your server if you don't have your SATA ports set to Legacy/IDE or something similar because WHS doesn't have SATA drivers.)  Are you using a true MS image or something else?

If I leave the failing disk in place it shows up as disk 0 and both data and sys partitions show up but I still only get the new install option. My drives are showing up by name and size but I can't seem to figure out how to get the new drive as the disk 0 drive which I believe would now give me the re-install option.

At this point I am contemplating disconnecting the storage drive and booting with the new drive and do a fresh install. After that re-boot with the storage drive connected and do a re-install. Is this my only option at this point? I also do regular backups of the server itself on an external USB drive. I have a backup from a couple of days ago on that drive. How do I incorporate that into the re-install process and what is that server backup really doing for me?
    The backups are not used in the re-install process.  You install WHS, then restore your backup after the WHS installation is complete.
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:34 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Hi,
    I would not assume that and recommend the easier way of data reintegration after installing and fully upgrading the server software.
    The FAQ How to recover data after server failure should help you to get your data back to the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Thanks for your help so far. I did try plugging in my SATA drives into different ports with no luck.  At this point I think I will just un-plug the storage drive, do a new installation on the new system drive.  With the OS now loaded would it be possible to then plug in the storage drive, boot from the CD and do a re-installation?  Or is it at this point I could use the server backup?  I am wondering if WHS will be able to recognize the data on the storage drive and rebuild the tombstones if I go through the re-install process after the fresh install?  I have my doubts but I do suppose I only lose more time by attempting it.

I agree with Olaf.  I would just use the server backup to restore your data once you do your New Installation.  The only other thought I have is if you are going to do a New Installation and you already have all of your server data backed up to an external hard drive, I don't see any reason to unplug the storage drive.  Let it format both drives and it will then automatically install on whichever one it sees first (which should be helpful should the need to reinstall ever arise again).

Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:29 PM

All replies

To clarify: you have a total of 2 hard drives in your storage pool (neither are used for backing up your server) and they are both SATA?  If that's correct, make sure your new hard drive is plugged into the first SATA port on the mobo (usually labeled "port 0" on the board) and the other one is plugged in "port 1" (or anything else).  (Frankly though, I'm surprised you see any drives on your server if you don't have your SATA ports set to Legacy/IDE or something similar because WHS doesn't have SATA drivers.)  Are you using a true MS image or something else?

The backups are not used in the re-install process.  You install WHS, then restore your backup after the WHS installation is complete.
    • Marked as answer by dbleitch Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:34 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:38 PM
  • I have one system drive, and one storage drive.  The system drive is the one to be replaced.  It is plugged into the first SATA port labeled 1.  There are four SATA ports and they start at one and end of four. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N, it has no option to set to Legacy/IDE.  I checked on the ASUS forums.  Both the new system drive and the old storage drive are showing up at the installation screen, just in the wrong order, the new system drive is drive 1, the old storage drive is drive 0.  I am using an OEM disk purchased less than one month ago.  My evaluation period ran out so I bought and did a re-installation of the server with no issues using these very same drives.  The drives showed up no installation of any drivers at all! I had some other issues and did another re-installation again with no problems.  Been working fine for a month (after the re-install) until the system disk started having errors which I found by backups failing.

So the server backups themselves (not the client backup) can be used after an installation? I have done a successful client re-install after a hard drive failure, worked beautifully.  I just don't have a grasp on how the server backup itself is applied.
    • Edited by dbleitch Friday, August 28, 2009 2:45 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I have one system drive, and one storage drive.  The system drive is the one to be replaced.  It is plugged into the first SATA port labeled 1.  There are four SATA ports and they start at one and end of four. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N, it has no option to set to Legacy/IDE.  I checked on the ASUS forums.  Both the new system drive and the old storage drive are showing up at the installation screen, just in the wrong order, the new system drive is drive 1, the old storage drive is drive 0.

In that case, try switching the ports the drives are connected to.  (It shouldn't work, but what the heck.  Pretty much everything you've done so far shouldn't have worked, and yet it did.  Might as well try it.  :)  )

I am using an OEM disk purchased less than one month ago.  My evaluation period ran out so I bought and did a re-installation of the server with no issues using these very same drives.  The drives showed up no installation of any drivers at all! I had some other issues and did another re-installation again with no problems.  Been working fine for a month (after the re-install) until the system disk started having errors which I found by backups failing.

So the server backups themselves (not the client backup) can be used after an installation?

Yes.

I have done a successful client re-install after a hard drive failure, worked beautifully.  I just don't have a grasp on how the server backup itself is applied.
    The Help function in the WHS Console should give you details on how to restore data from a server backup.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for your help so far. I did try plugging in my SATA drives into different ports with no luck.  At this point I think I will just un-plug the storage drive, do a new installation on the new system drive.  With the OS now loaded would it be possible to then plug in the storage drive, boot from the CD and do a re-installation?  Or is it at this point I could use the server backup?  I am wondering if WHS will be able to recognize the data on the storage drive and rebuild the tombstones if I go through the re-install process after the fresh install?  I have my doubts but I do suppose I only lose more time by attempting it.

Friday, August 28, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Hi,
    I would not assume that and recommend the easier way of data reintegration after installing and fully upgrading the server software.
    The FAQ How to recover data after server failure should help you to get your data back to the server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:06 AM

I agree with Olaf.  I would just use the server backup to restore your data once you do your New Installation.  The only other thought I have is if you are going to do a New Installation and you already have all of your server data backed up to an external hard drive, I don't see any reason to unplug the storage drive.  Let it format both drives and it will then automatically install on whichever one it sees first (which should be helpful should the need to reinstall ever arise again).

Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Thanks to all who gave me sound advice.  I started last night on the new install, just under an hour.  I ran the backup from the external drive, all data intact.  I did updates to the server, about two hours!  Re-installed add-ins, set up users and added the storage drive back into the pool.  Ran backups on all clients, last one is currently running.  Looks like all went well.  kariya21 sound advice on leaving both plugged in because it formatted the the storage drive anyhow after I added it back to the pool. I have made notes and will do that next time around.  Again thanks for the advice, after experiencing a client failure, and a server failure I guess I have seen the capabilities of WHS and yes it has a few issues but overall it does what it is supposed to do!
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Hi.
    I have found this post very interesting, especially the part about SATA drivers. Having built a few pc's,  when I built my server I just installed the SATA drivers from the motherboard drivers CDROM. It works! Am I just lucky?
    Philip
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Philip, I think that what you did is the normal method.  My particular motherboard (ASUS A8N-SLI) doesn't require that the SATA drivers be installed unless you use the SATA ports for the RAID setup.  I've done a total of four re-installs and installs now and I have never needed to install a SATA driver for WHS to see my drives.  As you will see through out the forums and in the WHS documentation that is not normal.  It mentions if using SATA drives install drivers or switch them to IDE/Legacy. The lesson is that there are so many hardware configurations, such as mine that you will occasionally run into something that doesn't fit in the conventional mode.  Bottom line for me is all is working well.  The importance of server backups and folder duplication is a fairly important consideration if  you are looking for data recovery during installs and re-installs.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:44 AM