How many simultaneous connections can you have ? RRS feed

• Question

• I new on this forum and my question is rather simple

We want to use this software suite to be able to organise a conference with 4 different locations

Can we do this with ConferenceXP ?

Can we have both ways <--> video and audio feeds on and from each sites ?

I need to buy the necessary hardware, what would be the best ?

That's it for now !

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:46 PM forum consolidation (From:General Discussion)
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 1:48 PM

Answers

• Bonjour Benoit!

ConferenceXP can easily handle a conference between 4 different sites.  However, there are some qualifications...

1.  You need sufficient network bandwidth - approximately 2mbps upload per node and N * 2mbps download.

2.  You need sufficient hardware for a node - we run dual proc or dual core machines, with hyperthreading, a nice ATI or NVidia graphics card, 1GB RAM, etc.

3.  You will need cameras and audio devices.

4.  Ideally, your sites are multicast connected.  Otherwise, you will need to install and use a Reflector.

We allow you to configure the encoding bit rate, which becomes a trade-off between CPU utilization, to get the encoding done, and network bandwidth.  If you have high end machines and sufficient bandwidth, you run 640x480 compressed video at 30fps and send uncompressed audio.

If you need more information, please let me know; be sure and provide some more information about what hardware you have, etc. so I can provide better answers.

JVE

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:18 PM

All replies

• Bonjour Benoit!

ConferenceXP can easily handle a conference between 4 different sites.  However, there are some qualifications...

1.  You need sufficient network bandwidth - approximately 2mbps upload per node and N * 2mbps download.

2.  You need sufficient hardware for a node - we run dual proc or dual core machines, with hyperthreading, a nice ATI or NVidia graphics card, 1GB RAM, etc.

3.  You will need cameras and audio devices.

4.  Ideally, your sites are multicast connected.  Otherwise, you will need to install and use a Reflector.

We allow you to configure the encoding bit rate, which becomes a trade-off between CPU utilization, to get the encoding done, and network bandwidth.  If you have high end machines and sufficient bandwidth, you run 640x480 compressed video at 30fps and send uncompressed audio.

If you need more information, please let me know; be sure and provide some more information about what hardware you have, etc. so I can provide better answers.

JVE

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:18 PM
  • I should add a couple of more points...

2mbps is 640x480 and uncompressed audio.  With 320x240 and compressed audio, it is < 500kbps.

Also, we have had a maximum of 15 audio and video streams running at once (320x240, compressed audio).  Wireless classrooms (without AV, and only the presentation tools) have had over 50.

JVE

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:00 PM