how to connect to WHS (ssl?) vpn from ipad RRS feed

• Question

• Hi-

I have a friend who has windows home server installed and would like to use his new IPAD to connect to it.

He can successfully remote desktop into WHS from the Ipad when he is at home. He can also successfully connect to his home network via the WHS vpn using IE - Which is apparently connecting to a ssl vpn running under IIS.

However, since the IPAD obviously lacks IE, this is not an option. Is it possible to use another ssl vpn client on the ipad to connect to his current WHS ssl vpn service?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:50 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't include an SSL VPN. The Remote Access web site is available to any web browser that supports SSL, but it's not the same thing as a VPN. Also, note that some functionality (remote desktop to client computers running supported operating systems, Console access to the server) in the Remote Access web site is specific to Internet Explorer. There is no workaround for this; without IE, you can't host the required ActiveX control so there will be no way to get this to work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Appreciation for your quick response - that's kinda like I was starting to suspect. This is my first experience with WHS.

So, just to make sure I have it right... I watched him connect to the remote access web site, (which looked like an ssl vpn connect but wasn't) and then launch a plug in client from his browser (IE) which looked just like a traditional remote desktop/ rdp client but was actually operating via an ActiveX control.

kinda like wikapedia mentions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server#Remote_Desktop_Services

So  the solution for Ipad?

1) turn on RRAS - I saw this available, but turned off - conceivably this will support PPTP, or L2TP vpn connect?

2) get hamachi logmein

3) forget about using WHS for VPN, and get a VPN firewall or VPN router.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:53 AM
  • I would start with looking at what you really need to do with the iPad. Probably the iPad is not the only computing device available when you're out of your home (or when your friend is out of his), it's just the one that's available on the train ride to/from the office. In that case, maybe the answer is to just not worry about it. :)

Using your server as a VPN gateway is perhaps not the best idea; Microsoft doesn't expect that use of Windows Home Server or test for it, so it's unsupported and (technically, at least) a violation of the EULA, which restricts activating server roles that Microsfot didn't activate themselves. My own preference if you really need a VPN is for a SonicWall router with included full VPN client license(s), but other routers support VPN connections as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:27 PM
  • hi good post thanks team previously i am  using a service from http://www.purevpn.com/vpn-service/ipad-vpn.php it new for my ipad..
    Monday, February 21, 2011 12:12 PM