Windows Live One Care Anti-Virus & Spyware turned off cannot turn on RRS feed

• Question

• I signed on to my computer this morning and received a warning that my anti-virus and spyware were not turned on.  In the process of trying to get it turned on, I discovered that my Windows defender was off too.  I was able to turn the Defender on, but have been unable to turn on the antivirus or spyware.  I keep turning it on and hitting apply, and it looks ok, but when I go back to Windows live One Care, it still says it's off.  I also cannot sign in with my windows live e-mail to get live help, I even changed my password thinking that was the problem, but after I changed it I still couldn't sign in.  In order to get to this I had to set up a new live account/e-mail address.  Nothing I've tried seems to work and I need help asap. 
    Thank you,
    Tammy
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:40 PM

Answers

• Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I've marked Jim's reply as the answer.
    Normally, to resolve this issue, you would want to download and run:

Virus and Spyware repair tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/a110d77b-6829-4bc6-8a16-8125e7093913/

Note that Defender should be left off when OneCare is installed as OneCare includes the protection of Defender and expands on it.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:14 AM

• I downloaded this and tried to run it.  But it pops up "You must have administrator privileges to run this tool.  I am the only user on this computer and I do have administrator account type.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Save the repair tool to your desktop, right click it and select "Run as Administrator".
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:56 PM
  • I have had this identical problem this week--did you get it resolved? 
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:35 PM
  • If you have run the repair tool as noted above and the issue persists please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:38 PM
  • For Future Readers: If your getting the same message... do the following.... NOW

SWITCH OFF USER ACCESS CONTROLS in your system user accounts area.... this is the scurge of Microsoft Vista... and creates more headaches than benefits.....
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:23 PM
  • For Future Readers: If your getting the same message... do the following.... NOW

SWITCH OFF USER ACCESS CONTROLS in your system user accounts area.... this is the scurge of Microsoft Vista... and creates more headaches than benefits.....

UAC should not be a factor in this problem.
    You should leave UAC turned on as it is a security measure that provides excellent protection. Yes, it can be annoying if you are running software that causes UAC to prompt for permission every time it runs or wants to perform an action that is contrary to the recommendations of Microsoft on how to code applications for Windows, but turning it off is a bad answer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:12 PM