Navigating Restore ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thank you in advance for any advice/comments that you may provide.  I have been using OneCare and have compeltely backed up my pc stuff using OneCare Backup onto an external hard drive.  A few weeks ago, my computer had a problem... I had to completely reformat the hard disk and reinstall a fresh windows.  

My computer is now back up-and-running (and performs absolutely amazing compared to pre-formating) and I am ready to start restoring files.

When I go to the Restore feature in OneCare, I have the option of performing a Full Restore or Searching for files/folders to Restore.  I would prefer not to completely restore everything (e.g., tons of weird music, old stuff, etc).  However, it is difficult to restore what I want because the backup is not organized like my My Documents Folder used to be.  Is there a way to browse for the files I want to restore?  Or must I search by manually entering individual file names?  Ideally, I would be able to look at the backed-up My Documents Folder and pick and choose what to restore.  Can you suggest a way to approach this?

Thank you for your time and any help/advice that you can offer.

Jason 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:23 PM

Answers

• You already know the answer, though it isn't what you'd like. :-(
    Your choices are to restore everything and then manually browse the restored files and delete what you don't want after it has been restored, or selectively restore by searching for files to restore. You can restore all files of a type, for example, and then search for other files that you know you want to restore. There's no easy tree view of the folders and files that were backed up, though you can sort the results list for files to restore by clicking the column headings. It is less than optimal for what you want. Personally, I'd do the full restore and then delete what you don't want by browsing the folders on the PC afterwards. That would seem to be the easier option.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:24 PM