WHS is suddenly not being picked-up by my router - any suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• The NetGear WNDR3300 sees all my other computers in the house but, can no longer see my WHS.  I read other similar posts/articles and tried 1./ a hard restart 2./ following the port-forwarding but, nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• Here the green LED on the server is lit steady, while the yellow is blinking (server connected to a Gigabit switch).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Phils1 Friday, October 23, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:20 AM

All replies

• What kind of home server is it - a self built or OEM?
    Can you still ping your server or connect via Remote Desktop (by its name or its last known IP address)?
    Check the network cable on both ends - are they still connected, are the LEDs blinking on both sides etc).

If it is no longer reachable at all via network and an OEM system (without Video out), the only option is to try a server recovery/reinstall according to the manual of your home server.
    Port forwarding does not play a role for local connectivity or an IP address being assigned via DHCP.

Olaf
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Danke Olaf.  I just moved back to Seattle from Munchen 5 week's ago with my family...

It's an HP MediaSmart Server EX487.  The cable on the cable on the back of the box is solid-state on one side and blinking on the other side.  

Okay, so I need to try recovery/reinstall.

Will let you know how it goes.

Tschuss.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Hi,
    did this instantly happen after you moved back to the USA, that the server could not be found any more?
    In this case, did you use a fixed IP address before eventually?
    Is it still the same router? If not, did you alter the hosts file on the clients in the past, and the IP address does not match any more (the same, if you used a fixed IP address before)?
    Not sure, how the NIC on the MediaSmart EX487 has to behave normally. (Will check the EX470 I have located at work tomorrow.)
    But normally blinking is a good sign.
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Here the green LED on the server is lit steady, while the yellow is blinking (server connected to a Gigabit switch).
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Phils1 Friday, October 23, 2009 11:57 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:20 AM