Required DNS Entries RRS feed

• Question

• I only want my domain users to be able to use Office Communicator externally with the OCS/Edge configuration. I have read through a lot of documentation and through a lot of threads in this forum. My question is concerning external DNS entries. Do I need both the _sipfederationtls._tcp.<domain> &  _sip._tls.<domain> for what I want to accomplish or do I only need the _sip._tls.<domain> entry? I am a bit confused at this point.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• I'm pretty sure you'd only require the _sip._tls. SRV record for external OCS users because the other one is used for Open Federation with other organisations.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:17 AM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure you'd only require the _sip._tls. SRV record for external OCS users because the other one is used for Open Federation with other organisations.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  

Hi,

you only need the _sip._tls.<domain> SRV record that points for the A record (edge FQDN) on the right port.

In my experience, i've been getting some problems with the SRV record sometimes cause some DNS's servers gives a timeout before handing the record and OCS doesn't "support" that timeout and starts looking for the other default records (ex: sip.<domain>) and since they dont exist, auto-login fails. For that reason i always add a extra A record for sip.<domain>.

It's more a DNS server problem than a OCS one but sometimes i don't control the DNS servers so i rather "fix" it on my side. 

Best Regards,

Hugo Picão

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:52 AM