Remote Desktop cannot find the computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I have three home computers (WIN 7 Pro) registered on WHS 2011 (PC1, PC2, PC3) and can connect via Remote Desktop to PC1 and PC2 from my laptop (WIN 7 Pro) but cannot connect to PC3. Neither can I conncet to PC3 locally from either PC1 or PC2.  I can conncect to PC1 and PC2 from the PC3, PC1 to PC2, etc.  

WHS 2011 system does not indicate any problems - backups are working fine.

When I attempt to connect to PC3 from another computer via https://"servername".homeserver.com I receive the following message:

"Remote Desktop cannot find the computer "PC3". This might mean that "PC3" does not belong to the specified network. ..."  BTW, i get the same error message when I attempt to connect to PC3 from itself.

I removed PC3 from the WHS and re-connected it, and I have rebooted several times to no avail.  The computer name and workgroup names are correct.

Thanks in advance for your help.

DaveEW

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:45 PM

Answers

• The problem was a DNS issue.  The name i chose for PC3 was being resolved to a company in TX.  I the removed the computer from WHS, changed the computer name, connected the computer with the new name and everything works correctly.

Thanks for you help.

David E Whitestone
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• Slightly confused about what you are saying! When you say Remote Desktop, do you mean directly form one PC to the other via RDP or are you logging into WHS and connecting that way. If the latter have you tried the former? Is this all within your network or extermnally?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I'm logging into WHS and attempting to connect via WHS. 

I'm not familiar with RDP.

All activity thus far has been through my LAN.

BTW, I can successfully "ping" PC3 from PC2 and vice-versa.

David E Whitestone
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Make sure that the computer youre having trouble with is actually running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, make sure that remote access to the computer is enabled on the server, and make sure that the computer is configured to accept Remote Desktop requests (you'll find this in Control Panel/System and Security/System, then select "Remote settings").
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:35 PM
  • All affirmative.
    David E Whitestone
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Try temporarily disabling the firewall on the machine that does not work and see if that's the cause.

Also you could try a direct RDP (Start, Accessories, Remote Desktop) to the one that's not working - try using its IP address if the Computer name does not work.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Some progress!

I disabled the Windows Firewall and was able to connect via RDP but not through WHS.  I re-enabled the firewall and could still connect via RDP but not through WHS - same message. Prior to bouncing the firewall I was not able to connect via RDP so that helped the local connect problem.  Still cannot connect via WHS.

David E Whitestone
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Strange, is this correct for a direct RDP:

• With firewall operating - no RDP
    • Disable firewall - RDP OK
    • Re-enable firewall - RDP OK

Doesn't sound right to me unless you did something to the firewall or you were still connected when you re-enabled the firewall - can you try that again?. As for WHS, I suggest you clear this anomily first before proceeding with further investigation.

• Marked as answer by DaveEW Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DaveEW Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:00 PM
  • The problem was a DNS issue.  The name i chose for PC3 was being resolved to a company in TX.  I the removed the computer from WHS, changed the computer name, connected the computer with the new name and everything works correctly.

Thanks for you help.

David E Whitestone
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:24 PM