Transfer Hard Drive with Win XP Home to another non-OEM computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have Windows XP Home SP3 on my non-OEM computer and want to move the hard drive to another non-OEM computer. I have reinstalled about 5 times on the existing computer. Will this be a problem? I do not believe so because there will be only one copy of the OS running. BTW I own the copy of Windows XP Home and it is not on any other machine.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hello mountain1228,

From a Licensing Point of View, the only likely problem I can see is when you Activate (over the Internet) on the new computer, you may receive an error (something like 'you have activated too many times', or the like). The error sounds worse then it is, all it means is you will need to Activate by Phone, instead.

Other then that, as long as XP is a Retail version (i.e. licensed to be able to be moved from one computer to another) and is not installed on any other computers, I don't see any Licensing problems.

On a side note: moving a Hard Drive with an OS already install on it, from one computer to another, Might cause Technical issues. I recommend asking your question in the XP Newsgroups http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx regarding that possibility. 

Good Luck with the the move and Thanks for the question,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:15 PM