No OneCare Circle ??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have OneCare installed on 3 platforms .. XP Home, XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium. All were installed from the same 3 license CD and are currently at version 1.6.211.38. I was helping a friend with his OneCare installation and noted that he has a feature called OneCare Circle that is not available on my systems. How do I update to 2.??? to get this feature?
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:29 PM

Answers

• You will receive an automatic update that will upgrade your current version of OneCare to version 2.0 within the next week or so.  With this update, the OneCare circle feature will also be made available to you.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:10 AM

All replies

• You will receive an automatic update that will upgrade your current version of OneCare to version 2.0 within the next week or so.  With this update, the OneCare circle feature will also be made available to you.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I'll change "week or so" to "soon."

Upgrades were resumed on 1/3/08 after a period of regrouping to address issues that appeared with the first wave of upgrades from November and early December. So far, it appears that these issues have mostly been resolved, so I expect additional upgrades to be staged regularly going forward. They are staged over time to make sure that resources - both server side and support side are available to allow for a successful experience.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Thanks Steve .... btw, I am going to shortly upgrade my XP Home to VISTA Home Premium.  Is it correct that I need to uninstall the OneCare 1.6 before I update to VISTA .. and that I should then install 2.? directly and not reinstall 1.6 and let it let the automatic upgrade occur?
    John
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:42 PM
  • To upgrade to Vista, it would be best to uninstall OneCare first. Any new install of OneCare, from CD or the web site, will always be the latest bits, so you'd be installing 2.0 after the Vista upgrade.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Hmmm .. things are not going well with 2.0.  I hasve yet to do the upgrade of the XP Home system to VISTA so I am still running 3 separate platforms on a local (home) area network with a DSL link to the Internet. The VISTA system upgraded ok .. as did the XP Home system .. but the XP Pro system will not run.  Also, after the automatic upgrade of the XP Home and the VISTA system, the VISTA system can no longer backup over the network to the XP Home (hub) system and can not access any shared resources on the XP home system. Futher the XP Home system can not "see" the VISTA system (although the VISTA system can see the XP Home system).  Finally, the XP Pro system is totally isolated.  I have tried running the OnceCare Clean and Reinstall process several times on the XP Pro system with no success. I have run chkdsk several times on the XP Pro system (as suggested by MS) with no errors.  I almost wish I could go back to 1.6.
    Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
    --
    John
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:06 PM
  •  John Randle wrote:
    Hmmm .. things are not going well with 2.0.  I hasve yet to do the upgrade of the XP Home system to VISTA so I am still running 3 separate platforms on a local (home) area network with a DSL link to the Internet. The VISTA system upgraded ok .. as did the XP Home system .. but the XP Pro system will not run.  Also, after the automatic upgrade of the XP Home and the VISTA system, the VISTA system can no longer backup over the network to the XP Home (hub) system and can not access any shared resources on the XP home system. Futher the XP Home system can not "see" the VISTA system (although the VISTA system can see the XP Home system).  Finally, the XP Pro system is totally isolated.  I have tried running the OnceCare Clean and Reinstall process several times on the XP Pro system with no success. I have run chkdsk several times on the XP Pro system (as suggested by MS) with no errors.  I almost wish I could go back to 1.6.
    Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
    --
    John

Were all 3 PCs on 1.6 and recently upgraded to 2.0?

On the Vista and Home systems, make sure that the network is identified as Home Or Work in the Configure Network section of the Firewall under Change Settings in OneCare.

Is the network wired for all 3 PCs or a mix of wired and wireless back to the router? If it is the latter, you may need to go to the advanced tab for the firewall and place a check mark for File and Sharing Internet in addition to the default subnet selection.

Once you've gotten file and printer sharing going again, you should be able to configure your backup on the Hub.

What is the current state of the Pro system and OneCare? Updated, but OneCare won't start? See this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:19 PM