Moving CRM 4.0 from one domain to different domain RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Gurus,

I have CRM 4.0 production environment. Database size is almost 200 GB. Around 1000 users being used. We have different domains for dev & Prod environments with their own Active Directory. We are planning to upgrade to CRM 2011 on dev region. When we move CRM 4.0 from prod to dev region, AD is different. I know one process which we have to create the AD users manually and map when we are importing the ORganization from deployment manager. If we simply copy the Prod database to dev region, how we have to map all the users exactly as production? My target is to 'upgrade to CRM 2011 and capture the amount of time taken for upgrade process. As I know If I don't have all users on dev domain, all the records are being assigned to administrator(installing user) which i don't want.What is the best approch to move from one domain(AD) to different domain(AD)?

Regards,

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can just leave the users unmapped.

Ronald

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:14 PM
  • If we leave unmapped users, all the records are get assigned to admin or we might have to mention some one's name. I want to measure the correct time in my dev environment. So that I can request the downtime for production.

Is there any way /tool that I can move all the prod domain AD users to dev domain's AD? Or any other option do we have ?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

In my experience mapping users or not does not affect upgrade time that much. I would say you will be better off spending time on other upgrade activities. But if you must replicate AD users, you can use ADMT. Instead of migration you could also write a script to create the same number is dummy AD users if it is only data volume you are after.

Ronald

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:01 AM