I cannot install WHS 2011 connector because WHS v1 connector will not uninstall. HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried off and on for a month to install the WHS 2011 connector onto my HTPC, but I can't seem to completely uninstall my previous connector software from WHS v1.  I even bought "Max Uninstaller" for $30 and it didn't do the trick (bad decision in hindsight).  I have deleted all the folders, subfolders, and .DLL files from the Program Files and Program Data folder listed in Windows Home Server, but I still keep getting the error in WHS 2011 installer.

I saw a link that said I need to "unjoin a client computer from the network domain", but I have not idea how to do that.

Any ideas?  I am at a loss.  I have 3 other PC's on my network that work great.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    3rd party uninstallers are usually not a good expense. Unfortunately Microsoft removed its Uninstaller Cleanup Utility as well from the download capabilities, which was often enough my tool of the choice. A network domain has usually nothing to do with a computer in home environment.

First method - if you still have it - would attempting to reinstall the connector from your old home server and then remove it.

Otherwise a bit more hardcore:

Run regedit as Administrator.

In the registry, after exporting each of the keys, delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\49794E1231C748E4689555DB7328765D (make sure, that this contains a value ProductName set to Windows Home Server Connector, if this is not in the same key, your GUID may be different, search for the value Windows Home Server Connector in this case)

In C:\Program Files delete the folder Windows Home Server.

Reboot and try, if you can now successfully install the new connector.

If not, you may have to search the registry for other appearances of Windows Home Server and remove them. Since this invokes some risk of removing the wrong keys, this should be done very careful.

Good luck
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by woody10007 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:54 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    3rd party uninstallers are usually not a good expense. Unfortunately Microsoft removed its Uninstaller Cleanup Utility as well from the download capabilities, which was often enough my tool of the choice. A network domain has usually nothing to do with a computer in home environment.

First method - if you still have it - would attempting to reinstall the connector from your old home server and then remove it.

Otherwise a bit more hardcore:

Run regedit as Administrator.

In the registry, after exporting each of the keys, delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\49794E1231C748E4689555DB7328765D (make sure, that this contains a value ProductName set to Windows Home Server Connector, if this is not in the same key, your GUID may be different, search for the value Windows Home Server Connector in this case)

In C:\Program Files delete the folder Windows Home Server.

Reboot and try, if you can now successfully install the new connector.

If not, you may have to search the registry for other appearances of Windows Home Server and remove them. Since this invokes some risk of removing the wrong keys, this should be done very careful.

Good luck
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by woody10007 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:54 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the info.  The registry changes did the trick.  The only issue I am having now is within Windows Media Center using the "TV Archive".  On the HTPC I just installed WHS 2011 on (thanks to you) I have two sets of "Console View" and "TV Archive" showing up?  I updated the TV archive to work (see: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/343dfefc-a26b-4f86-be1b-c0ce4861aeea), but the console view is still showing up and I am of the understanding that it is not compatible with WHS 2011.  Do you know how I can narrow it down to one TV Archive and no Console View?

Additionally, I have not been able to successfully use the TV Archive on any of my PC's with WHS 2011.  The Archiving process fails each time.  Any suggestions?

Thanks a million!

-Dane

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Hi Dane,
    hmm I never used that function, since my  Media Center PC is a standalone instance and doesn't need to share its recordings.

This article shows the service in charge for the TV for old WHS clients. If the service is still there, you may have to stop and disable and later (if that had no unwanted side effects) to delete it.

The service for WHS 2011 is installed on my PC as well, but translating back the name (starting with TV) of the service wont help you much, the service name itself here is arXfrSvc. "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Microsoft.HomeServer.Archive.TransferService.exe" is the linked exe file for the new version, the old version would be linked to some file in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder.

So if both are still running, that might be the reason for the issue. Also check the FAQ on top of this forum.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:09 PM