Configuration questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am looking into setting up a WHS system and I had a few questions. First is that the network I am setting up has more than 10 computers. With the computers that I don't set to back up onto the server will I still be able to see the server on the network and pull files off of it? Secondly, concerning the ability to restore a HD from a bootable image on the server, dos this work if a HD completely fails and I swap in a new one, or does the HD need to have the OS installed before I can restore the files? Lastly, about half of the computers are XP Home, and I understand that I will not be able to remote access them. But if I change a file on the server, can I remotely place that file from the server to the client computer, or will I have to physically be on the computer and pull it off of the server?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi, I am looking into setting up a WHS system and I had a few questions. First is that the network I am setting up has more than 10 computers. With the computers that I don't set to back up onto the server will I still be able to see the server on the network and pull files off of it?

Yes.  The 10 workstation limit only applies to computers "joined" to the server (for backup purposes).  You will still need a user account to access the server though (or just enable the Guest account so anyone can access it).

Secondly, concerning the ability to restore a HD from a bootable image on the server, dos this work if a HD completely fails and I swap in a new one, or does the HD need to have the OS installed before I can restore the files?

No, you don't need to install any software on the hard drive before restoring the backup.  The backup app will do a complete restore (OS, apps and data) directly on to a new hard drive.

Lastly, about half of the computers are XP Home, and I understand that I will not be able to remote access them.

Correct.

But if I change a file on the server, can I remotely place that file from the server to the client computer, or will I have to physically be on the computer and pull it off of the server?
    You will need to be at the computer (since you can't get to the client desktop remotely).
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi, I am looking into setting up a WHS system and I had a few questions. First is that the network I am setting up has more than 10 computers. With the computers that I don't set to back up onto the server will I still be able to see the server on the network and pull files off of it?

Yes.  The 10 workstation limit only applies to computers "joined" to the server (for backup purposes).  You will still need a user account to access the server though (or just enable the Guest account so anyone can access it).

Secondly, concerning the ability to restore a HD from a bootable image on the server, dos this work if a HD completely fails and I swap in a new one, or does the HD need to have the OS installed before I can restore the files?

No, you don't need to install any software on the hard drive before restoring the backup.  The backup app will do a complete restore (OS, apps and data) directly on to a new hard drive.

Lastly, about half of the computers are XP Home, and I understand that I will not be able to remote access them.

Correct.

But if I change a file on the server, can I remotely place that file from the server to the client computer, or will I have to physically be on the computer and pull it off of the server?
    You will need to be at the computer (since you can't get to the client desktop remotely).
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. I greatly appreciate it.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:27 PM