How to use XP visual styles? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

I am developing a Console Tab and additionally a Settings Tab. Now I would like to have XP style buttons on the Settings Tab (as on the MS provided settings tabs, too). I followed the tutorial as described here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa289524(VS.71).aspx

But this obviously doesn't work. I get the Win2k buttons only. Implementation should be OK, because when changing the version of comctl32 in the manifest file from 6.0.0.0 to 6.1.0.0 an error occurs. So my manifest is embedded and read, but has no influence on the buttons.

Has anyone an idea of what's going wrong? Does anyone have a little code snippet of how to implement XP style buttons (comctl32.dll in version 6)?

Thanks in advance!!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:34 PM

Answers

• I think you will be unable to do what you want. The console runs on the server; when you view it on a client PC or your Remote Access web site, you're connecting to it via Remote Desktop. So you have access to what is available on the server. As the server is built on Windows Server 2003, I don't think you have the XP visual style available to you.

You do have the WHS styles available, however. See elsewhere in this forum for some basic help on using the WHS controls in your add-in.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi!

there is a new set of controls that have the vista-style (xp style is not supported, as Ken wrote above).

The controls can be found in HomeServerControls.dll (which is located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the server). You simply have to add a reference to it.

Here is a code sample if you want to have a button:

Code Block

Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.QButton button = new Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.QButton();

Hope this helps!

Regards, Alex

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:58 PM

All replies

• I think you will be unable to do what you want. The console runs on the server; when you view it on a client PC or your Remote Access web site, you're connecting to it via Remote Desktop. So you have access to what is available on the server. As the server is built on Windows Server 2003, I don't think you have the XP visual style available to you.

You do have the WHS styles available, however. See elsewhere in this forum for some basic help on using the WHS controls in your add-in.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi!

there is a new set of controls that have the vista-style (xp style is not supported, as Ken wrote above).

The controls can be found in HomeServerControls.dll (which is located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the server). You simply have to add a reference to it.

Here is a code sample if you want to have a button:

Code Block

Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.QButton button = new Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.QButton();

Hope this helps!

Regards, Alex

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Thank you Alex, this was very helpful. Including the WHS controls works fine.

Is there any documentation out there about these controls? Most of them are self explaining, but a short description would help a lot for some of them.

Thanks again!

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:00 PM