MS Office Home and Student 2007 Failed Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Please can you help?

To start from the beginning (this may take some time)

Operating System: Vista

Previous MS Office software on this PC: Office 2007 trial (never activated as not used)and MS office 2000 (no validation needed)

My father had MS Office Home and Student 2007 (3PC Licenses) and had used 2 of the licenses up and so let me use the last license.  I installed the software and was able to use it for about 3 weeks before the compatability mode switched on after using a file from office 2000.  After this I was asked to Activate office 2007 (previously I was unaware that Microsoft products now had to be activated) and so via excel went through options/resources/activate MicrosoftOffice and clicked the button.  Nothing happened, No Error Message, Nothing.  I had wondered whether my dad had used all the licenses instead of two.  However, I have since established that he had only used two.

I uninstalled  and reinstalled the product but the same problem ocurred. I finally uninstalled it.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing my own MS Office Home and Student 2007 (3PC Licenses) and installed as normal and straight away was asked to activate Office 2007.  Went through the usual way to activate and once again Nothing happened, No Error Message.

Having read a few of the postings and realising that perhaps previous MS office registries  may be causing the problem I uninstalled the 2007 Trial version and Office 2000 through uninstall programs as well as un/reinstalling Office 07, but the same problem exists.

I have recently purchased Registry Mechanic to clean up the registries to see if that would help, although it picked up several errors and repaired them the activation problem still exists.

I have since downloaded MS Installer Clean Up to see if that helps, but it seems that no previous versions of Office now exist on the system.

Also, When I looked for help on Microsoft website it say's that this isn't a Genuine MS product.  However, when I go through the 'How to Tell' Everything points to it being genuine!

Any solutions would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Regards
    Martin      

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hello martwhit55,

My suggestion would be to ensue that all Office installations are removed from the computer.  You can automatically remove Office 2007 installations with the MS FixIt utility in this MS KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/

After running the above utility and any other registry cleaners (which I neither recommend or not recommend), restart, then do a fresh installation of Office H&S 2007 from your genuine hologrammed installation CDs.

Try activating normally.

Let us know how you do.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hi Dan

I followed your instructions and it worked.  Microsoft Office now up and running.

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated!

Regards
    Martin
    • Marked as answer by martwhit55 Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:43 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello martwhit55,

My suggestion would be to ensue that all Office installations are removed from the computer.  You can automatically remove Office 2007 installations with the MS FixIt utility in this MS KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/

After running the above utility and any other registry cleaners (which I neither recommend or not recommend), restart, then do a fresh installation of Office H&S 2007 from your genuine hologrammed installation CDs.

Try activating normally.

Let us know how you do.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:00 PM

• Just my 2 cents regarding Registry Cleaners.

I haven't seen any problems (Genuine wise) from using Pay Registry Cleaners.  I have, however, seem many problems resulting from over zealous Free Registry Cleaners that delete Registries which tells Windows were some of it's own system files are located.  (As far as Windows is concerned, this is as good as deleting the files themselves).

My own personal feeling on Reg Cleaners is that any benefit they may provide is minimal and not worth the risk of possibly screwing up windows royally.

As for the Activation issue, I can't add anything to what Dan has already said.

Thanks,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hi Dan

I followed your instructions and it worked.  Microsoft Office now up and running.

Many thanks for your help, its much appreciated!

Regards
    Martin
    • Marked as answer by martwhit55 Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:43 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hello martwhit55,

You're welcome!  Nice to see you were able to get it up and running :-)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:26 PM