EPM and Team foundation Server RRS feed

• Question

• I basically want to know answer to following questions in details please if possible

1.the difference between Team foundation Server and EPM.

2.Can anyone explain to me how they both fit intogether

3.If i use Team foundation server then do i need EPM solution

4. Does MS provide any solution for this

Thanks

mp

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Let me see if I can take a stab at this:

> 1.the difference between Team foundation Server and EPM.

EPM is for managing projects, including both the scheduling aspect and the
    collaboration aspect. TFS is more for managing development efforts (new
    code and bugs), and provides tools to manage development code.

The overlap is that TFS also allows developers to provide an estimate of
    how much time they require to complete specific tasks. These tasks may include
    the actual development, but also breakfix work. That's about the extent
    of the estimating power of TFS. (to oversimplify).

EPM then allows us to take these estimates and project them out to the future,
    calculate the critical path, apply schedule buffer, and track using tools
    such as Earned Value.

> 2.Can anyone explain to me how they both fit intogether

TFS will export these estimates to EPM to help develop these schedule estimates.
    As I see it, EPM takes the raw estimates and makes an actual schedule model
    from them.

> 3.If i use Team foundation server then do i need EPM solution

That depends on your needs. Are you simply tracking bug fixes and development
    work, or do you have a need to develop a full scheduling engine with a bidirectional
    interface between your project manager and the project team?

> 4. Does MS provide any solution for this

MS sells licenses for both TFS and EPM and has well documented integration
    paths.

...perhaps you could provide more details about your specific environment
    and your goals?

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. If i take the 2nd and 4th point. What i infer is without a third party tool

Microsoft entertains using TFS into EPM solution; mark me if i am right.

Where can i find these steps to integrate TFS with EPM.

We are not having TFS now; but have EPM2007, on SQL2005 server

Thanks

mp

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Max_Pin perfect timing, check out this recently released demo VM Technology Preview that illustrates the integration between PS 2010 and TFS 2010 (download contains overview deck of integration plus demo scripts): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrisfie/archive/2010/07/06/microsoft-project-server-and-team-foundation-server-2010-ctp-virtual-machine.aspx

Product Group is currently looking for feedback on this integration so would be curious to see if it fits your needs.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I am thinking about a method to track something like "deployment packages" in PS 2010.

This is my context: I am planning to use the PS 2010 workflow capabilities to track the lifecycle of all the "Requests from business" (Demand). When executing, a Request evolves in a full fledged "project"; a project is structured in phases; each phase delivers a "package" that will be deployed in different environments (system integration, user acceptance, preproduction, production); different packages can be queued to different Releases.

My customer would like to track the status of both the "Request" (the business request and related IT initiative) and the development / deployment status of each "package" (in dev, in test[environment], test result[environment]).

While I am confident I can build a robust workflow for the Request (mapping it as a PS "enterpirse project type") , I am wondering if I can customize PS 2010 to deal with the "packages" entities (conceptually they are deliverables in PS, but cannot use the same entity in PS), or to use Task custom fields to track phase/package status, or to integrate with TFS.

In your opinion, is TFS _easily_ integrable with PS2010, or it will need a significant customization effort? In the last case, I prefer to spend the effort in customizing a single tool (PS 2010, I mean).

Thank you very much

leonardo

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:21 PM