Why is Cancelling Windows OneCare Such a Torturous Experience? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Upon notification that my OneCare subscription would be automatically renewed next month, I began searching for the procedure to cancel the account. Both the OneCare Help screens and the billing.microsoft.com advise subscribers there is only one method of cancelling their account - to call the toll free customer service number. Need I even say that this is an offshore support number? After being left on hold for seven minutes, I finally spoke with a rep who seemed very surprised that I had not cancelled the service online (not an option). She continued to make excuses about "our very slow computer system" throughout the call, putting me on hold no less than four times to "wait for the system". I suspect she was actually answering other calls in the interim, as it required a total of 29 minutes to cancel my account. When she asked if I was satisified with my customer service experience, to which I replied "NO", she offered to transfer me to her supervisor. Nine minutes and three hold sessions later, she was still apologizing and then managed to disconnect the call. What on earth is Microsoft, allegedly the most powerful software company on Earth, thinking in outsourcing their customer service to such an abysmal provider? I honestly believe they make the cancellation process torturous to discourage subscribers from cancelling. Bad job, Microsoft.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:37 PM

All replies

• Read the announcement at the top of this page. You did not need to cancel your subscription as it would have renewed with a free extension. OneCare is at end of life and will be replaced with a free antivirus solution.
    That said, I agree that the cancellation process has been pretty painful. Sorry to read that your experience was so poor with customer service.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:44 PM