Onecare Backup Slow SLow SLOw SLOW RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare is tring to back up 22Gb on to a 500 GB with160 GB free space.

I am 4 hours into it and it is only at 28% complete. it is a UDB2.0 port External drive

Winss.exe is running about 17-25% CPU time the rest is System Idle.

Onecae support just spend 6 hours getting Onecare to run and now this. all i want to do is backup my system so i can use my new Dell and change out this XP machine

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:01 AM

Answers

• Rreinha,

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum. Because you have recently had another issue worked through with OneCare support, I'm going to suggest you to call them back again.

You may want to restart your computer first and try running backup again to see if this clears up your issue. 

Start here to contact support:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2_5_client&queryType=keyword&query=rehto+rehtO&sid=012c8547-106a-41f8-9a49-231660b153fd_20373032&mkt=en-us 

1 .     Click Contact support in the middle of the webpage

2 .     Click Contact Support  in the bottom right corner of the webpage

3 .     Click Get support

4 .     Select the Billing Support or Technical Support Bubble

5.     Answer the questions appropriately, you will be guided to an agent if you have a paid subscription or email support if you have a trial version.

If your question has no relation to using Windows Live OneCare, then your question is off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for malware or Windows Help.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• Rreinha,

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum. Because you have recently had another issue worked through with OneCare support, I'm going to suggest you to call them back again.

You may want to restart your computer first and try running backup again to see if this clears up your issue. 

Start here to contact support:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2_5_client&queryType=keyword&query=rehto+rehtO&sid=012c8547-106a-41f8-9a49-231660b153fd_20373032&mkt=en-us 

1 .     Click Contact support in the middle of the webpage

2 .     Click Contact Support  in the bottom right corner of the webpage

3 .     Click Get support

4 .     Select the Billing Support or Technical Support Bubble

5.     Answer the questions appropriately, you will be guided to an agent if you have a paid subscription or email support if you have a trial version.

If your question has no relation to using Windows Live OneCare, then your question is off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for malware or Windows Help.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:25 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Takes nearly a day to initially bakckup 120 GB.  That is way too long.  This has happened several times as I have needed to reinstall WLO.
    William L Oppenheim
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:48 PM
  • woppenhe said:

I have the same problem.  Takes nearly a day to initially bakckup 120 GB.  That is way too long.  This has happened several times as I have needed to reinstall WLO.

William L Oppenheim

Yes, OneCare backup of that much data will be very time consuming, unfortunately. You might want to consider changing the backup plan to exclude some of the data that you might not really want to back up. Also, confirm that the external drive is connected to a USB 2.0 port.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:52 PM
  • My backups don't go as slow as yours, but during backup...the system is totally unusable.  I think this should be chalked up to yet another terrible product from MS.  MS's code is so bloated and un-optimized, it's pathetic.  You wonder how the richest computing company in the world can continue to offer such god awful products.  It seems to be an issue of MS thinking people have no other options, so why bother to make their products competitive.  I am glad to see Apple grabbing a massive market share.  Windows 7 is much better than Vista, but still amazingly clunky...hard to network...bloated code...expensive upgrade paths...and pigeon holing users into buying MS products, to simply make things work.  For example...my windows mobile device will not sync contacts without Outlook installed...even though windows live mail supports contacts.  It's absurd.  Greed will finally topple MS.  I for one will be glad to see more competition.  Yes this is a rant....Shame on you MS

Windows 7 should have been offered FREE to Vista users, or at a reasonable price, and I shouldn't have to buy Outlook to do something as simple as sync my windows mobile phone to my windows OS.  iPhones sync with any system FOR FREE!!!.  Maybe you guys will get a clue before people realize there are better solutions (Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and all other free open source OS...not to mention OSx....which you must already know is eating into your market share)...GET A CLUE GUYS!!!!

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:46 AM
  • AriM.

Sounds like the one needing to get a clue is you, since you obviously don't understand most Microsoft products at all.

Windows Live OneCare is End-of-Life and no longer being sold, not because it was clunky or non-functional, but simply because it cost more than most consumers wanted to pay for protection which is nothing ($0).  Many were quite happy with its protection abilities and most of the other features, though Backup was one of its least popular features and so not used very often, but I never experienced slow backup myself.  Usually speed issues are related to the backup devce and interface used, such as USB devices which are quite slow, especially when USB 1.0 interfaces exist on the PC.  However, since as you mentioned both Windows 7 and Vista contained a better backup built-in, the decision was made to drop OneCare since most of these features weren't required any longer.

Most people I've talked to have found Windows 7 quite easy to work with, and in fact are simply replacing their old Windows XP with it when possible.  No it's not completely perfect, but nothing is and anything will require some ability to install a nd set up.  The smart people I know ask others when they don't wish to learn how to do this themselves, no matter who made the product.  I've helped some with Apple systems set up their networking in the past, so this isn't limited to Microsoft, it's personal ability, technical knowledge and interest.

As for the Windows Mobile phone, all of these I've ever seen come with ActiveSync included free, which allows syncing both Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) and Exchange.  Maybe some odd third-party offerings might not include this, but with Windows Mobile it should be expected and I'd refuse to accept any phone from my carrier if they tried to provide it without this ability, since it's assumed to be included in this case.  My guess would be that it either wasn't working properly or you simply didn't understand how to make it work, which is when your carrier support should be able to help.

Rob

Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:41 AM