Can I not change an attribute after it's been created? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, I have a custom attribute I made which basically says "Our Customer" and it's set as a bit, so it's Yes or No.  I'm realizing I need to change it to a picklist, since I want it to have Yes, No, or Not Applicable.  When I open the attribute in customize, it's all grayed out so I can't change those things.  Is there a way to change it?  Or do I need to make a new attribute that does what I want, copy all the attributes over to that, delete the original one, recreate the original one as a pick list then copy them all back over?
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The type of an attribute can't be changed after created.

Best Regards, Lassaad
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Good Morning,

No, you cannot change an attribute's data type after it's created. Delete the attribute you already created, publish the entity, and then create a new attribute with the same name and the desired datatype.

Do you have data in the existing attribute already? If you do, the data will be lost when it is deleted, so you have a bit of a migration effort, so let me know and we can talk about your options there.

Ivan Kurtev

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hey everyone,

Yes unfortunately had lots of data but I just fixed it.  Crude way but works if anyone cares.  I added a second field with the proper information called ourcustomer2.  I then used that amazing OrbitOne Import/Export tool and made an advanced find view showing Customer Name, Our Customer, Our Customer 2.  I exported as CSV to excel, copied the 2 columns, imported back to CRM, deleted the original, renamed the new one to Our Customer, and I'm all set!

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The type of an attribute can't be changed after created.

Best Regards, Lassaad
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Good Morning,

No, you cannot change an attribute's data type after it's created. Delete the attribute you already created, publish the entity, and then create a new attribute with the same name and the desired datatype.

Do you have data in the existing attribute already? If you do, the data will be lost when it is deleted, so you have a bit of a migration effort, so let me know and we can talk about your options there.

Ivan Kurtev

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hey everyone,

Yes unfortunately had lots of data but I just fixed it.  Crude way but works if anyone cares.  I added a second field with the proper information called ourcustomer2.  I then used that amazing OrbitOne Import/Export tool and made an advanced find view showing Customer Name, Our Customer, Our Customer 2.  I exported as CSV to excel, copied the 2 columns, imported back to CRM, deleted the original, renamed the new one to Our Customer, and I'm all set!

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:10 PM