Server hangs/crashes during backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having the strangest problem. I have just recently installed WHS and after getting it all set up and my two computers connected to WHS I try to do the inital backup manualy every time it fails and the server then hangs/crashes and I loose all connectivity to it. I have to manualy do a hard reboot before i can reconnect. After reconnecting it tells me the backup failed. The only thing my event log shows is that it failed. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:41 AM

Answers

• It sounds as though you have driver problems with your Network Card. You could either try another NIC, or updating the drivers.

Colin

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Ok I finnaly got it to work. What I had to do was put in the new NIC. I put in a Intel Pro 100 NIC then I disabled the onboard NIC. While I was moving things around I decided to swap out my 500gb HD from my desktop with the 160 GB drive I had in the WHS. I reinstalled and now it works fine with the Pro 100 card. Now I just have to deal with getting it activated again with Microsoft Phone support fun.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:50 PM

All replies

• I'm not clear - does you worksation crash or does the WHS machine crash?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:58 AM
  • It sounds as though you have driver problems with your Network Card. You could either try another NIC, or updating the drivers.

Colin

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:22 PM
  • It is the WHS that crashes. I do have th most recent NIC drivers as well. I was going to try another NIC till I read that multiple NIC's will cause even more problems. My NIC is onboard.

I have found that the backup fails during sending the files to the WHS. It gets through checking the clusters for changes but after about 1-2 min of sending the files to the server I loose all connection to the server on every computer. Its not visable on the network and I have to do a hard reboot to regain connectivity

After the loss of connection I get a message in the backup window saying that there is a problem with my connector software and when I check the event log it just says that the backup failed.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Ok I finnaly got it to work. What I had to do was put in the new NIC. I put in a Intel Pro 100 NIC then I disabled the onboard NIC. While I was moving things around I decided to swap out my 500gb HD from my desktop with the 160 GB drive I had in the WHS. I reinstalled and now it works fine with the Pro 100 card. Now I just have to deal with getting it activated again with Microsoft Phone support fun.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:50 PM