Lost custom domain info when rebuilt server RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Sean,

I had a custom domain of communitysda.homeserver.com working fine.  Then the server died and I had to rebuild.  Now when I try to setup the domain, it says it is all ready assigned and to login into the live account.  I can not remember how it was created or what live account it is tied to.  Any help...?

Ron
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:58 PM

All replies

• If you don't know what Live ID the domain is tied to, there's no way to retrieve it. All Windows Home Server has is a "token" associated with the domain, not the original Live ID information.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:06 PM
  • 'If you don't know what Live ID the domain is tied to'

Something I missed? Do you need more than the account and logon to blah blah@ live . com - that you used in the first/ealiier install?

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:24 AM
  • 'If you don't know what Live ID the domain is tied to'

Something I missed? Do you need more than the account and logon to blah blah@ live . com - that you used in the first/ealiier install?

No, that's all you need. The OP doesn't have that information, though.

Even if you do have that information, you may still be unable to retrieve a vanity URL after rebuilding your server if your Live ID has since been deleted for inactivity. Simply using/refreshing your vanity URL doesn't log your Live ID in, and if a Live ID goes "unused" for long enough it will be deleted. Once that occurs, the vanity URL is irretrievable if you should reinstall your server or upgrade to Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:28 PM