none
"There was an error processing the request." (EW2 Forum) RRS feed

• General discussion

• There was an error processing the request

This has been the response for the last two days whenever the Submit button is clicked. Not intermittently, but consistently replicable. It happens after first logging in; it happens later, it happens all the time.

After some experimentation I determined that ignoring the error message and returning to the forum one often (not always) finds that the reply was posted after all. (Which means that I still have to  make a copy of the reply I spent 10-12 minutes composing before doing so, just in case.) However, our less experienced users don't know this, and we end up with six copies of the same reply, as they futilely click the Submit button repeatedly. This is pretty damned basic forum functionality. Think maybe someone could address this issue?

On another issue, for some reason, for the last two weeks, my Profile brings up a page in what appears to be Brazilian Portuguese. I am neither Brazilian nor Portuguese, and have never set my profile to indicate such. Nor, upon looking, could I find anywhere to change a setting in my profile to correct this. Anyone know how this might have happened? How about a direction as to where to look to correct the setting so that my profile is in American English? (NOTE: My Locations in my Windows Live profile "registered information" are already set to United States. Couldn't find a setting for language, though.)

[EDIT] OK, belay that last. I found the answer to the second issue above in this thread http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/reportabug/thread/d298d9a6-8934-4e8e-baa4-fcf4138484a1. Dunno why I had never seen those upper-right dropdowns as being such, but now I know how to fix the issue, and according to the referenced post, the issue of how it gets changed will be bugged.

cheers,
    scott

• Edited by paladyn Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:16 PM ....
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:04 PM

All replies

• I get the "There was an error processing the request" message _every_ time when I submit a post. This bug needs to be fixed ASAP. Anybody listening?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:35 AM
  • Christoph Schneegans said:

I get the "There was an error processing the request" message _every_ time when I submit a post. This bug needs to be fixed ASAP. Anybody listening?

Apparently not. This has been up for two and a half days now, and not so much as a bloody peep from the devs to say they're aware of it and looking into it. Like you, I see that message every time I submit a response, and as active as I am on the forum, as are you, it's getting pretty damned tiresome to deal with.

I can think of few elements of a forum's interface more critical to its operation than the ability to submit a reply without error. Seems the devs have a different sense of priorities.

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:21 AM
  • So, here is my experience.

1) One of my machines just sits there when I click submit... Now, I know this machine has cookie issues, and so it's likely related, but I haven't killed the cookies yet.

2) My other machine posts just fine. Everything is smooth.

3) Other people internally have tried the forums at different points and found everything runnig smoothly.

4) I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but it seems not to be erroring EVERY time for you, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten these posts up. Or are you getting errors, but the posts go thru anyways?

Thanks
    Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Hmya, I reported this problem a while ago.  It is a lot more common than you see bug reports for it.  I'm guessing that most users avoid filing because it tends to resolve itself after a while.  It sure looks like a cookie problem.  There are a *lot* of them.  I'm guessing things go haywire when they get out of sync, perhaps when their expiration date is different.  Forcibly logging off and back in has resolved it for me every time.  The OP found a new failure mode if s/he was off-line for two days.

It sure is annoying, cleaning up all those duplicate posts and threads is punishingly boring work for a moderator.  Not that I bother anymore.  But yeah, that's core functionality that's broken.  Giving us cookies that last for two weeks, like they used to, would be a fantastic workaround.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:45 AM
  • One of my machines is XP SP3, the other one is Vista SP1. I receive this "There was an error processing the request" message almost every time on _both_ machines. Despite the message, the post is accepted anyway; I have never lost a post. If I click the "Submit" button again because of the error message, my post is transmitted twice.

There are plenty of such duplicate posts, so it seems that many users experience this problem.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:45 PM
  • This bug has more than one face, by the looks of it.  I got into a mode yesterday where the Unread filter in My Threads just absolutely refused to filter anything I did already read.  Which was odd because my cookie was reasonably fresh (~8 hours).  Log out, log back in, Unread worked again.  I need a manual.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Does the error case happen on New Thread as well or just Reply? The main cases where a Thread/Message could go through but report an error are Alerts Subscription and Tagging. With a new thread it errors out on that, we'll redirect you to the new thread and give a little more specificity about the failure. 

Christoph, could you try a new thread in Sanbox or somewhere and see if you get an error there as well?

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:18 AM
  • mattfras said:

So, here is my experience.

1) One of my machines just sits there when I click submit... Now, I know this machine has cookie issues, and so it's likely related, but I haven't killed the cookies yet.

2) My other machine posts just fine. Everything is smooth.

3) Other people internally have tried the forums at different points and found everything runnig smoothly.

4) I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but it seems not to be erroring EVERY time for you, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten these posts up. Or are you getting errors, but the posts go thru anyways?

Thanks
    Matt

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer

Sorry to have not gotten back sooner, but with the holiday weekend...

Both of my machines, both XP SP2, one a desktop and the other a laptop, consistently exhibit this symptom. No other site has similar issues, nor any issues whatsoever that I have encountered.

"Other people internally," as you know, may not see the same issues as those accessing the forum from outside your ninedot, or tendot, or whatever unroutable internal domain you use.

Actually, I got those posts up in spite of the failure, not because it does not occur consistently. It only took a short while for me to realize that the messages usually did post, although I was left staring at an error message which said that it had not. And left staring at that error message, and my purportedly failed post, forever, unless I either clicked Back or the forum breadcrumb at the top of the page (my usual practice, since it takes 20-45 seconds or longer for the forum message list to update if I use the Back button, which is yet another issue).

Although the post usually actually gets posted, that is not universally the case. I have, therefore, gotten into the habit of automatically hitting Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy my reply before returning to the forum. On several occasions I have been glad that I did so when I got back to the forum and discovered that the detailed response I had spent 10-15 minutes composing didn't survive the transition.

I see no small amount of irony in the fact that this issue does not seem to plague this forum at all, or at least I have never encountered it here. (This would, I should note, seem to argue against it being a cookie issue.) It occurs on a regular basis in the EW forum, and we are daily blessed with wading through dozens of duplicated posts from those who have not yet become aware of the "trick." You may only hear from we vociferous few, but that does not mean that the forum is not seriously, consistently broken.

cheers,
    scott

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:48 AM