none
Why do I get the message "Setup is already running" after installing WHS?

Question

• This is kind of strange but towards the end of the WHS installation I get the error, "Setup is already running..."

After setup completes and I boot to the initial WHS screen (the one with the single arrow on it), after clicking on the arrow it says something about "Setup wasn't completed successfully.  Please re-install."

I can close the screen and the server seems to function properly but this is scaring me...

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:27 PM

Answers

• Well, I've tried the following:

Installation with Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 NIC (connected to network)

Installation with Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 NIC (disconnected from network)

Installation with 3com 905B NIC (connected to network)

Installation with Linksys EG1032 NIC (connected to network)

Installation without entering cd-key.....  This WORKED!

However, this whole experience has been incredibly frustrating and this bug should have been fixed before shipping out the product... (or at least a knowledgebase article should be created about it)

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:30 PM

All replies

•  sofakng wrote:

This is kind of strange but towards the end of the WHS installation I get the error, "Setup is already running..."

After setup completes and I boot to the initial WHS screen (the one with the single arrow on it), after clicking on the arrow it says something about "Setup wasn't completed successfully.  Please re-install."

I can close the screen and the server seems to function properly but this is scaring me...

There have been other people with a similar problem.  One of the possible side effects is that your machine may not get fully set up as Windows Home Server (it would instead show up as Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server).  In that case, you may end up missing WHS updates.  Can you login to the server desktop, right click on My Computer, click Properties and see what OS it says is installed?

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:44 PM
  • It says "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server, Service Pack 2".

I really don't feel comfortable spending $200 and installing all my critical data files onto an operating system that errors during installation and then says setup didn't complete successsfully. Sad

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Is Microsoft working on this issue?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:33 AM
  •  sofakng wrote:
    It says "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server, Service Pack 2".

I really don't feel comfortable spending $200 and installing all my critical data files onto an operating system that errors during installation and then says setup didn't complete successsfully.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Is Microsoft working on this issue?

The best suggestion I can offer at this point is to install it again (either on a different drive, or if that's not possible, I would do a low-level format on the drive first, just to make sure that there is nothing left of the previous install).  There have been a few people with the same problem as you (I don't remember reading any definitive solution though).

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:16 AM
  • I also had these errors but the install did continue to completion and the server has worked perfectly since.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:51 AM
  •  sedin26 wrote:

I also had these errors but the install did continue to completion and the server has worked perfectly since.

What does it say in the system properties (eg. right-click my computer, then properties) under System?

I'm guessing mine shouldn't say Server 2003...

I've re-installed this now three times and it gives me the same error everytime.

Can I contact Microsoft about this issue or do I need to pay them to provide support?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:00 PM
  •  sedin26 wrote:

I also had these errors but the install did continue to completion and the server has worked perfectly since.

While it may seem to work ok, you may very well be missing 2 critical WHS-specific updates (including the fix for ADS).  You might want to check the logs to make sure those were installed.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:19 PM
  •  sofakng wrote:
    What does it say in the system properties (eg. right-click my computer, then properties) under System?

I'm guessing mine shouldn't say Server 2003...

Nope.  It should say "Microsoft Windows Home Server Service Pack 2"

sofakng wrote:
    I've re-installed this now three times and it gives me the same error everytime.

Can I contact Microsoft about this issue or do I need to pay them to provide support?

There is no free support for OEM products.  You would have to pay for it.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:21 PM
  •  

Wow... I'm glad that I'm only using an evaluation copy because if I paid $200 and didn't have a working product I would be pretty upset.

Anyways, I really do appriciate your help everybody.

Has Microsoft acknowledged this as a known issue and are working on a fix?  I really don't feel comfortable "hacking" it to make it work when I'm storing important data on it... Sad

EDIT: I'm sorry if I'm upset... I shouldn't be that way espicially on Christmas.

Is there any logs I can check to see what exactly is failing during installation, etc?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:17 PM
  •  sofakng wrote:

Wow... I'm glad that I'm only using an evaluation copy because if I paid $200 and didn't have a working product I would be pretty upset.

Anyways, I really do appriciate your help everybody.

Has Microsoft acknowledged this as a known issue and are working on a fix?  I really don't feel comfortable "hacking" it to make it work when I'm storing important data on it...

EDIT: I'm sorry if I'm upset... I shouldn't be that way espicially on Christmas.

Is there any logs I can check to see what exactly is failing during installation, etc?

I agree 100%!

I just reinstalled this worthless OS 5 times and it still gives me this problem.

The bad part is that I installed ALL Beta's and RCs on this same PC without any problems whatsoever.

Yeah, I wanna give M$ $ for this one.. right!

Removing a SCSI and 1394 cards didn't help either.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Well, I really don't have anything bad to say about Microsoft.  I absolutely love (almost) all of their products and I'm more than willing to drop the $200 neccessary to this as long as I can get this issue fixed.

Does anybody else have any ideas for me to try?   ...or logs I can check to see what exactly is failing, etc?

I only have a minimal amount of hardware in the machine:

Asus TUV4X motherboard (Pentium 3 - 1.0 GHz)

1.5 GB RAM (PC133 SDRAM)

80 GB HD, 20 GB HD

AGP Video card (not sure the model)

Linksys EG1032 1.0 Gb/s NIC  (I'm going to try installation with other NICs as well to see if thats the issue)

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:15 PM
  •  sofakng wrote:

Well, I really don't have anything bad to say about Microsoft.  I absolutely love (almost) all of their products and I'm more than willing to drop the $200 neccessary to this as long as I can get this issue fixed.

Does anybody else have any ideas for me to try?   ...or logs I can check to see what exactly is failing, etc?

I only have a minimal amount of hardware in the machine:

Asus TUV4X motherboard (Pentium 3 - 1.0 GHz)

1.5 GB RAM (PC133 SDRAM)

80 GB HD, 20 GB HD

AGP Video card (not sure the model)

Linksys EG1032 1.0 Gb/s NIC  (I'm going to try installation with other NICs as well to see if thats the issue)

Have you tried using a different DVD drive?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Well, I've tried the following:

Installation with Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 NIC (connected to network)

Installation with Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 NIC (disconnected from network)

Installation with 3com 905B NIC (connected to network)

Installation with Linksys EG1032 NIC (connected to network)

Installation without entering cd-key.....  This WORKED!

However, this whole experience has been incredibly frustrating and this bug should have been fixed before shipping out the product... (or at least a knowledgebase article should be created about it)

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  

Wow.., I can confirm that this worked for me also.

I didnt even think of trying not to enter my key, but to think that something like that can fail the whole install is definitely some sloppy coding.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Everything looks good - and it is listed as Home Server instead of server 2003....

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:24 AM
  • I didn't think this was going to work because it seems like it shouldn't but I can confirm that it does.

So, just to repeat, for others that are having this issue, if you get "Setup is already running" near the end of the install phases and after setup completes your installation is branded as "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Edition" then the solution is to install with no product key and enter your key during activation.

I assume most OEM's won't run into this because they're using a system to deploy over the network but for home users, who are using DVD-ROM drives to install, this at least gets you up and running.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Can someone who can repro this issue reliably please file a bug on Connect, with cabs from the server that has this issue? Yes, it should get fixed, but a bug isn't real unless it's properly documented, and that requires a bug in Connect. I would do it, except I've never had this issue...
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:54 AM