Money 2005 files - can I open them somewhere else? RRS feed

• Question

• I had the US version of Money 2005 which has now been erased from my hard drive.  I have no backup of the program, but do still have the data files.  I downloaded Sunset, but it is asking for a Windows Live password and when I type it in, it says it does not match my email.  In the Money 2005 version, I did not use the Windows Live.  I would like to scrap the whole Money thing and go to a different program, but would like to use the data I have from the many years I used Money.  Any ideas how to open the file in Excel or somewhere else?
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 9:02 PM

All replies

• You can try to use sunriise to open it up and export the tables to *.csv file(s)

If your MS 2005 is actually a UK version, you will need "Money 2005 UK - QFE2" instead of "Sunset". See: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3

Best,

Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:16 PM
  • I downloaded Sunset, but it is asking for a Windows Live password and when I type it in, it says it does not match my email.  In the Money 2005 version, I did not use the Windows Live.  I would like to scrap the whole Money thing and go to a different program, but would like to use the data I have from the many years I used Money.  Any ideas how to open the file in Excel or somewhere else?

At what point did you get the error message from Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset?

Do you have a *.m14 file on your computer?

Monday, December 26, 2011 4:45 AM
  • I am in the US.  The error message came when I signed in at the beginning.  Yes, I do have the *.m14 file.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Your *.m14 file is a copy of your Money 2005 file as it existed at the time of a previous attempt at conversion. Copy that file to LeenyM.mny and save a copy onto other media in case something fails. Note the date on that file.

You say you did not use a LiveID (Passport) on your Money 2005 file. If that is not the case and if you don't know the credentials, then you will not be able to succeed in accessing that file. If it is true, you should succeed.

Install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset onto a Windows Computer. Check that you can access the sample.mny file in the install folder. If that works, it shows that your installation is probably good.

Then File->Open LeenyM.mny. If it says you have to enter an email address and a password, then you did and do have a LiveID on that file. Nothing will help without remember the credentials or finding where you wrote down that info.

If it works, great. Now you can either continue using Sunset, or get Quicken. Quicken will use the Money Deluxe Sunset installation to do the conversion of your file to Quicken.

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Woo hoo!!!  I did as you instructed. However when I got to the spot where I opened the LeenyM.mny file it took me back to my records of 2006.  So I closed that and opened my backup file and there is all of my info! 

I cannot thank you enough.

Monday, January 2, 2012 6:47 PM