none
New or updated forum posts are not bold any more RRS feed

• Question

• This started a few days ago. The topics are no longer bolded so it's very difficult to see what is a new or updated thread.

This happens with IE8, FireFox and SeaMonkey. Looks like this:

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• When I look at any of the forums I normally follow, Miscelaneous, UI, NEtworking, etc., none of the threads with new posts are being highlighted like the used to be. Makes it almost impossible for me to know what I've seen and not seen.

Anyone else having this problem.

(Yes, I'm logged in).
    Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 2:47 AM
  • When I look at any of the forums I normally follow, Miscelaneous, UI, NEtworking, etc., none of the threads with new posts are being highlighted like the used to be. Makes it almost impossible for me to know what I've seen and not seen.

(Yes, I'm logged in).

hi ,

no , its working fine , try at the bottom the 2 and 3 pages , it could be you have allready visited those links , you can also sign out , close the browser , wait 5 min , and restart the browser and resign in , see what that does

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Get Windows LIVE! +
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Same for all pages (1, 2, 3, etc.) This has persisted across overnight shutdown. Started yesterday when I went to look at the forums. Had been okay up until then.

I can't think of anything I've done that could cause this so I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I saw yellow highlighted posts just this morning.

Just an off-the-wall idea...  Try adding microsoft.com as a Trusted site.

-Noel

Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:15 PM

(Yes, I'm logged in).
    Hi

There are several issues with the forums since the new interface update was implemented a couple of days ago.

You can report any problems in the Forums Issues (not product support) Forum.

The next forum software update, with some fixes is scheduled for 3/18.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Same for all pages (1, 2, 3, etc.) This has persisted across overnight shutdown. Started yesterday when I went to look at the forums. Had been okay up until then.

I can't think of anything I've done that could cause this so I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion.

hi ,

cleared you cache yet ?

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Get Windows LIVE! +
  • Thanks Ronnie. I'm adding a post there now.

Monday, March 8, 2010 3:45 AM
  • The image above indicates boled threads. Windows 7 BuCheck is bold, the two posts below are not bold (italic). Is the problem that it's just too subtle given the last update?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:20 AM
    Answerer
  •  Is the problem that it's just too subtle given the last update?

Clearly, in view of the (now long) thread I started on this which specifically talked about the fonts, this ("too subtle" - one way of putting it!) is the problem.

As I wrote there it is clearly more of an issue with small screens and people sitting at desks connected to large screens will probably not be aware of the problem.

I've also noticed a minor difference between using My Forum Threads (which has a blue surround) and the normal pre-SharePoint 2010 forums which have a grey surround + equals color at top wide border and a narrower section to the left and the right).

Seeing a bold post is marginally less difficult in My Forum Threads than in the SP forums on a small matt screen. In a small glossy screen both are equally impossible 

P.S The example you use isn't a good one. It is still possible to tell the difference between a non-italic and an italic post. The main problem comes with a bold (non-italic) and a non-italic post.  Even so it is much easier to zoom through posts picking out only the (bold) un-read ones if there is a clear difference between a bold post and all the others including the italic ones than to move down to the next non-italic post and then check out its timestamp.

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:08 AM
  • What cache are you talking about? I run CCleaner every night. It deletes everything in the IE TIF and SeaMonkey cache folders.

Is there somewhere else I need to clean out.

BTW: I started the other thread initially and Ronnie Vernon suggested I post here.

I can see the subtle difference between italic and non-italic thread titles, though it's a whole lot harder.

Why was that change made? Having new or updated threads BOLD definitely made it easier to keep track of what is happening here.

I have a 19" Samsung LCD display runnning at 1280x1024 @ 60hz via a digital connection from a Nvidia  Quadro FX 3400/4400.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:36 AM
  • The difference is much more noticible in the image I posted than it is when viewing the forums live.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:39 AM
  • >Mike Walsh can you merger this thread ( link ) with this one ?

I can't in any case (I probably wouldn't merge it as this thread is already confusing)  merge it because I don't have Moderator rights here!

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:25 AM
  • What cache are you talking about? I run CCleaner every night. It deletes everything in the IE TIF and SeaMonkey cache folders.

Is there somewhere else I need to clean out.

BTW: I started the other thread initially and Ronnie Vernon suggested I post here.

I can see the subtle difference between italic and non-italic thread titles, though it's a whole lot harder.

Why was that change made? Having new or updated threads BOLD definitely made it easier to keep track of what is happening here.

I have a 19" Samsung LCD display runnning at 1280x1024 @ 60hz via a digital connection from a Nvidia  Quadro FX 3400/4400.

hi ,

no wonder you have problems , ... trow ccleaner away , ....

to clean up IE just click ' safety ' >> delete browsing history and flag what you want , ....

no two , go to my computer , click properties and ' disk clean up ' >> flag what you want

no three , onecare online scanner

you can also go to your media player , check the privacy tab and click ' clean history ' , ...

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
  • Why would I want to stop using CCLeaner. It does a very good job of deleting temp and TIF files as well a s host of other collected junk. Disk Cleanup does not do as good a job of removing accumulated junk as CCleaner does.

My primary browser is SeaMonkey, not IE, so the state of it's cache is a moot point anyway.

I've already run OneCare online scanner (see earlier post), found nothing.

Why can't this useless change be removed, or why can't making updated or new posts BOLD be brought back on top of the change? As it now stands, I have to look at the Last Reply line to see when an update was made to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Monday, March 15, 2010 2:32 AM
  • Why would I want to stop using CCLeaner. It does a very good job of deleting temp and TIF files as well a s host of other collected junk. Disk Cleanup does not do as good a job of removing accumulated junk as CCleaner does.

My primary browser is SeaMonkey, not IE, so the state of it's cache is a moot point anyway.

I've already run OneCare online scanner (see earlier post), found nothing.

Why can't this useless change be removed, or why can't making updated or new posts BOLD be brought back on top of the change? As it now stands, I have to look at the Last Reply line to see when an update was made to be sure I'm not missing anything.

hi ,

cause its crapware , .....

wonder why you start to have problems ? you dont need ccleaner in order to have a safe and great system !!

i wonder how you would see the forum with a clean fresh updated IE 8 install , .....

ie 8 is a save and secure browser , and the clean up of the cache happens with two click , and you dont have to worry at least some registry keys or to much is deleted like what ccleaner does , ... you have a few problems now , but later on you will loose more time and get bigger errors , ...

ccleaner shuts down and removes a few things that might speed up your surfing by 5 percent , but you will loose encryption and a secure connection in return ? ask yourself if its worth it ( !! )

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
  • Sorry, but thats  not true, CCleaner is not crapware.  This is also absolutely not true: but you will loose encryption and a secure connection in return . Do you have any factsual reports that show this happening?  Also, CCleaner does not delete registry keys unless you use Registry tool which I never do. I use RegSeeker for all things registry related.

I don't use IE8 normally. I prefer SeaMonkey which is a browser/email/composer suite, the same as I've been using since early Netscape days (Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey - natural progression).

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Sorry, but thats  not true, CCleaner is not crapware.  This is also absolutely not true: but you will loose encryption and a secure connection in return . Do you have any factsual reports that show this happening?  Also, CCleaner does not delete registry keys unless you use Registry tool which I never do. I use RegSeeker for all things registry related.

I don't use IE8 normally. I prefer SeaMonkey which is a browser/email/composer suite, the same as I've been using since early Netscape days (Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey - natural progression).

hi ,

with several unupdated win versions and depending on what you have of ccleaner the crypto does get taken out (!!)

yes its true

if you help people to reinstall the os after they have used ccl every single day , both me and the coworkers we tend to have an other idea , i always ask when is over and win or the os working again if they would ever reinstall ccl , i have yet to have one single person say yes , ... ( !! )

fact , ccl does absolutely nothing , neither does any other of those so called reg cleaners and speed ups , known as scareware , we at support called them crapware !

its a scam , a legal scam to get people money out of their wallets with a program that does not even do 0.00000001 percent of what it claims , .... check around , do a few searches and find out , i have never seen any of those types of crapware regardless of price ( from 19 to 499 usd ) do anything else then to take space up in the comp , ....
    not one ( !! ) has ever been able to prove they can speed up any os ! >> or improve the os .

have a nice day

ps , some thread's are around inwhere all the proof was posted

• CCleaner is not primarily a registry cleaner, it's main use is to remove temp files from the hard drive. It does that very well and does not cause any problems.

If you or anyone else use CCleaner or any program to clean the registry then they had better know what they are doing or exactly what you describe will happen, I don't disagree with that.

If people feel they must clean the registry, then I recommend RegSeeker. It is less aggressive than CCleaner  and also makes a backup of the entries it deletes so if something does go wrong, you can restore the registry to recover.

As I said, that is not what I use CCleaner for. I use it to remove accumulated junk files from my hard drive.

We're beating a dead horse here though. Thanks for your input.

Peace.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Sometimes it just dont work well.

http://www.lollo2.com
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:27 PM