Remove conflicting programs RRS feed

• Question

•  

Why is onecare telling me that I need to remove my norton antivirus?
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 12:53 AM

Answers

• Antivirus products use a set of common Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that aren't designed to be shared, so only one antivirus should be installed to operate in real-time (also called active) mode. Since virtually all locally installed antivirus automatically install and enable their real-time components, it's really not workable to have two installed at once. You can, however, use online scanners while another antivirus is installed, though most still recommend disabling the real-time portion while performing the online scan.

The long explanation below comes from Microsoft TechNet:

Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide - Chapter 3: Antivirus Defense-in-Depth

Client Defenses

Client Antivirus Protection Steps

Step 4: Install Antivirus Software

It should be noted that running antivirus applications from a number of different application vendors on the same computer may cause problems due to interoperability issues between the antivirus applications. System issues that can result from running more than one antivirus application in your environment at the same time include:

Memory overhead. Many antivirus applications use active agents that stay resident in memory, reducing the amount of available system memory.

System crashes or stop errors. Such crashes and errors can be caused by antivirus applications attempting to simultaneously scan the same file.

Performance loss. As antivirus applications scan files for malicious code, system performance may decrease. Scans are repeatedly performed when multiple applications are used, which may lower your system performance to an unacceptable level.

Loss of system access. Antivirus applications attempting to run concurrently may cause the system to halt during startup. This problem is more common in older versions of Windows, such as Microsoft Windows NT and Windows 9x.

For these reasons, the use of multiple antivirus applications on the same computer is not a recommended approach and should be avoided if possible.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:47 AM