CRM 4.0 Outlook desktop client error trying to configure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're experiencing a problem with about 10 percent of the users where we're trying to configure the CRM Outlook Desktop client. The CRM installation takes place successfully, but the configuration fails presenting the user with a .NET application debug exception window. If we try to run as a different user the configuration succeeds. If the problem user logs onto another machine they are able to successfully configure. This suggests this is an issue with the user's profile. We have tried recreating the user's Outlook profile and this does not solve the problem.

Additional details:

Applied all application pre-reqs
    Applied latest rollup for the Outlook client
    Environment been through a recent AD consolidation (and users migrated)
    User can configure on other machine/s (issue cannot be reproduced)

Would like to know of ways to attach debug processes to install .exe (to obtain more debug information).  Based on posts, I can see that the issue is common, therefore there could be multiple symptoms.  Best way to resolve: have access to a debug code install to enable tracing and logging information.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Russ

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• OK, can you post that error.

And you applied the .net service pack?

And if I understand this correctly, one profile can do it and the other cannot?

Now for the Outlook Offline client, the user still needs local admin rights and only that user will have access to the SQL database.

I worked a bit on a 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade of hundreds of clients this year and that is still a rub.

Or is this the other Outlook client?

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:54 PM

All replies

• The configuration wizard should produce a log file which can be found in %appdata%\microsoft\mscrm\logs.  This log should provide a more detailed error message.  If recreating the Outlook profile did not succeed, perhaps the issue is the user's Windows profile.

To debug the process, you would need access to the uncompiled code, which is usually not an option in non-open source applications.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Hi Richard, Thanks for your response. We checked this directory but the configuration wizard errors before it has a chance to write to the logs. We also suspect it is something within the user's windows profile. Thanks, Russ
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Outlookcmd.dat is a file that controls any objects in the tool bar of Outlook.

In older versions of Outlook this file would often get corrupted.

You will find this file in the application data\Microsoft\Outlook section of the user profile on Windows XP SP2.

I have found that renaming or deleting the file and restarting Outlook solves some of the issues with the client.

Some have commented that removing the profile and recreating it gave them good results but I think that's a shotgun blast approach and would prefer a surgical strike.

Let  us know how this works out.
    You will find a version of that file in all the profiles on the machine.
    /:>

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Hi Curt,

Thanks for your suggestion.

We tried this without success. It looks like the problem is related to running the configuration process before Outlook is even referenced, or at least before the Outlook profile is referenced.

Thanks,

Russ
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:20 PM
  • OK, can you post that error.

And you applied the .net service pack?

And if I understand this correctly, one profile can do it and the other cannot?

Now for the Outlook Offline client, the user still needs local admin rights and only that user will have access to the SQL database.

I worked a bit on a 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade of hundreds of clients this year and that is still a rub.

Or is this the other Outlook client?

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:54 PM