WHS Patch RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone read Ask Woody?  He said this on the following link. 

"Microsoft Security Bulletin KB 894199 says that we're going to get a bunch of patches on Tuesday, January 27. Most of them aren't terribly interesting, although there's a patch for Windows Home Server that could prove to be problematic.

http://www.askwoody.com/

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:29 AM

All replies

• Why would it be problematic? Woody sounds a bit paranoid to me... :D
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:35 AM
  • The KB article referenced by Woody ( KB 894199 ) says: "Install this update to resolve an issue with Windows Home Server."

I would like to know what issue it resolves. Is there a way to find out?

EDIT: (I need to do more searching before posting here, obviously) I found something about it on the WHS Team Blog:

"Today the Windows Home Server team is releasing a small update to the product.  The update improves the capability of Windows Home Server to repair abnormalities detected in the home computer backup database.   The update should be automatically downloaded and installed on your home server over the next several days, if you have Windows Update turned on. "

It also said that KB #958926 for it will be posted shortly.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:14 PM
  • My WHS tried to update today but I said no for now.  Here are the details.

Downloading Update for Windows Home Server (KB958926) (update 1 of 2)... done!
    Downloading Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 (update 2 of 2)...

Anyone else have any reason to say no? 

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:31 AM
  • No, I can't think of a good reason to worry about either patch but I can think of reasons to apply them...
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:47 AM
  • S_M_E said:

No, I can't think of a good reason to worry about either patch but I can think of reasons to apply them...

Yep.

This contains a fix for some of the 79% bugs related to the backup database.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Successful Updates  

Update for Windows Home Server (KB958926)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

:D

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:39 AM
  •  After this update, I found that there were even more updates available. Had to run "Update Now" from Console - Settings twice to get them all.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:22 AM
  • I have not been able to reconnect to the server since this upgrade.  Here are a few details:

I was able to download files from the server Wednesday, January 27th - last time at 10:00 PM.
    I have backups scheduled for the 4 users in my home to start after midnight.
    I awoke on Thursday the 28th and the server was off.
    Attempts to restart have failed.
    I am able to get to the start up screen - after a few moments the boot process stops and begins again.

I see from the following article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958926, that backups should not be run during this period of time.  As I have backups and upgrades on automatic schedules I fear these two tasks may have collided.

Are there any others who have had problesm since KB958926?  Are there any recovery suggestions? Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Domino1195 said:

I have not been able to reconnect to the server since this upgrade.  Here are a few details:

I was able to download files from the server Wednesday, January 27th - last time at 10:00 PM.
    I have backups scheduled for the 4 users in my home to start after midnight.
    I awoke on Thursday the 28th and the server was off.
    Attempts to restart have failed.
    I am able to get to the start up screen - after a few moments the boot process stops and begins again.

I see from the following article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958926, that backups should not be run during this period of time.  As I have backups and upgrades on automatic schedules I fear these two tasks may have collided.

Are there any others who have had problesm since KB958926?  Are there any recovery suggestions? Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

If you are able to log into the server directly, boot into safe mode and uninstall all the updates, you might have updated more than just that KB. It's possible that you got a bad driver via WU.

Once you've uninstalled the updates and can log in normally, check the event logs for possible causes as to why the system shut down. You might also check in C:\Windows for a MEMORY.DMP in case the system bugchecked after the updates.

This KB explains how to troubleshoot start up problems in Windows Server 2003 which is what Windows Home Server is built on. You really only need safe mode, last known good configuration and the event viewer.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:39 PM