Outlook client install fails with dr watson error? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to install the CRM 2013 client for Outlook 2013 (32-bit CRM client for 32-bit Office, on a virtualized Windows Server 2008 R2 terminal server), but the installation fails almost immediately with an error message about not being able to install Dr Watson (ie the application error reporter software, I believe.)

Any ideas on what's going on? Missing some prerequisite, perhaps, and if so any clue what I need to do?

I've looked at the software prerequisites and it looks like I have it all covered, but still can't install the client. The user acct is a domain administrator and starts the installer as administrator explicitly.

• Edited by Kimmo_J Monday, July 7, 2014 12:36 PM mispeeling
    Monday, July 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Answers

• Turns out it was simple but unintuitive (to me) - you can't start the install from a network share. Even though it unpacks the installation files to a local drive, apparently something still doesn't get set properly when you start the executable off the network because it can't find the components in the installation package when it goes to continue the installation.

So, simply download the client, then copy the executable to the local machine, then run it and unpack and install.

Just thought I'd add that info here in case someone else has their installation just quit with a semi-inexplicable dr watson error.

• Marked as answer by Kimmo_J Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:24 AM