Windows Home Server Power Pack 3. Home server backup (not clients) fails. clicking on view backups or backup now thinks a little while, the flashes back to computer backup screen. RRS feed

• Question

• the backup service is running.

this is the error entry in the event viewer that is generated...

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.io.filenotfoundexception, P10 NIL.

This occured after a user in one of the private shares did something (I don't know what) that set the permissions on a folder and a few sub folders that denied all access (even for the administrator of the home server).  I was able to return access to the folders by (using windows explorer) taking ownership of them (administrator) and then adding a rule to allow access to all.  (there was an entry in there to deny all that I couldnt delete.  my new entry just overrode it.). 
    Access was restored to the folder, but the backups or view of backups will not launch. 

folders on the the external backup drive holding the backups is accessible via windows explorer, so nothing is wrong with it.  I disconected it as a backup drive and connected it again and all seems ok from the view server storage screen. 

However.. the calculating sizes in the right of the server storage column of the server storage screen keeps running the little green squares from left to right, but no graph is ever created.  This has been running  for over 12 hours. 

the server seems ok in other ways.  just no backups. 

Help please.. I cant make any folder backups.. or view previous backups. 

Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:51 PM

Answers

• Let me preface this with a warning for those who come along and find this in a few months: This proposed solution is untested , almost certainly not applicable to any situation except the OP's problem, and possibly will cause you to lose significant amounts of data if you try any variant on it yourself. If you proceed without an intimate knowledge of NTFS, ACLS, file ownership and access issues, etc. I will not shed a single tear for you if Bad Things™ happen.

Back to the OP: Did that scare you? :)

I suspect you haven't really succeeded in taking ownership of everything you need to. A file's owner should always be able to access the file, even if the owner has to grant himself permission to do so first, and an administrator (member of the local administrators group) should always be able to take ownership of a file or folder. Maybe you didn't propagate the ownership grab? The ACL changes?

It's also possible that you're running up against Drive Extender and the storage pool. Remember that your data is stored on multiple drives. Finding everything is going to be painful, however, given that Windows Home Server may store files/folder involved in your issue on up to 3 drives (D:\Shares\etc. for tombstones, and two storage pool drives for real files if duplication is turned on).

If nothing else is working, and you've spent a good long time searching on support.microsoft.com for XP and/or Server 2003 solutions (which are also not working, and I assume you've looked at this one and tried what it suggests?), there are very few options left. In my opinion you should prepare for a new server installation by backing up your data (by hand if you must, and I think you "must"), so that you can simply format everything and wipe all your cares away. Once you've got all your data backed up, then you can proceed to steps like the intemperate use of the cacls command (which is one of the easiest ways to mess up Windows permissions that I can think of, thus "prepare for the worst"). In this case, I'm thinking that you will want a combination of two commands. First is the "takeown" command", then "cacls". Your steps will look something like this:

Run the following commands in a command prompt (note that I'm not using cacls with the /C parameter; you want to know if takeown didn't work and /C would mask that):
    D:
    cd \shares\<sharename>
    takeown /F <folder> /A /R /D Y
    cacls D:\Shares\<sharename>\<folder>\ /T /E /G Administrators:F
    Per my warning above, I make no promises that this will work. It shouldn't make your current situation worse if you've backed up your shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by franklintec Monday, February 8, 2010 2:26 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Yes, Ken.. your last suggestion scared me a lot. 

..But it led me to a solution.  I read this link again http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech and noticed that I must click the box that sets ownership to child objects.   I had neglected to do this. 
    Once I had ownership of all the objects, I could delete the folder. 

I must say that I'm disappointed that the backup wizard script in Windows Home Server just disappears if it has a problem with permissions rather than giving an error report. 

Anyway... My backukps are working and I'm happy again. 

..Thanks again. 

Paul Franklin
    • Marked as answer by franklintec Monday, February 8, 2010 2:33 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• Can you try copying the files/folder the user changed permissions on from your server to another computer, deleting the folders from your server, and copying everything back? I would probably use robocopy, but you can also use xcopy /e /h. You do not want to use the /o parameter.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  But even if robocopy could copy the files and folders off (ignoring permissions), they still can't be deleted .

I'm not sure, but I think the deny all permission is what is also making the backup wizard fail.

The process I describe in my first post works to allow all permissions to the folders and objects, but I have to do it to each object.  I have failed to find a way to propagate the ownship and allow all to everyone from the root folder level.  This is important, because there are thousands of objects.  when I attempt a propagate, I get the error access denied.

Friday, February 5, 2010 5:11 PM
  • You need to take ownership with the Administrators group, not the Administrator account. You'll probably also have to remove all Windows Home Server permissions (use the console), then re-set them, after you take ownership.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:12 PM
  • I tried making the owner the administrator group, Ken..   but still no luck trying to propagate "allow all" from a root folder to its children.  I still get the access denied error.  At this point, my problem would be soved if i could just delete this root folder.  We got back the contents another way. 
    Any ideas?

thanks again. 
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Let me preface this with a warning for those who come along and find this in a few months: This proposed solution is untested , almost certainly not applicable to any situation except the OP's problem, and possibly will cause you to lose significant amounts of data if you try any variant on it yourself. If you proceed without an intimate knowledge of NTFS, ACLS, file ownership and access issues, etc. I will not shed a single tear for you if Bad Things™ happen.

Back to the OP: Did that scare you? :)

I suspect you haven't really succeeded in taking ownership of everything you need to. A file's owner should always be able to access the file, even if the owner has to grant himself permission to do so first, and an administrator (member of the local administrators group) should always be able to take ownership of a file or folder. Maybe you didn't propagate the ownership grab? The ACL changes?

It's also possible that you're running up against Drive Extender and the storage pool. Remember that your data is stored on multiple drives. Finding everything is going to be painful, however, given that Windows Home Server may store files/folder involved in your issue on up to 3 drives (D:\Shares\etc. for tombstones, and two storage pool drives for real files if duplication is turned on).

If nothing else is working, and you've spent a good long time searching on support.microsoft.com for XP and/or Server 2003 solutions (which are also not working, and I assume you've looked at this one and tried what it suggests?), there are very few options left. In my opinion you should prepare for a new server installation by backing up your data (by hand if you must, and I think you "must"), so that you can simply format everything and wipe all your cares away. Once you've got all your data backed up, then you can proceed to steps like the intemperate use of the cacls command (which is one of the easiest ways to mess up Windows permissions that I can think of, thus "prepare for the worst"). In this case, I'm thinking that you will want a combination of two commands. First is the "takeown" command", then "cacls". Your steps will look something like this:

Run the following commands in a command prompt (note that I'm not using cacls with the /C parameter; you want to know if takeown didn't work and /C would mask that):
    D:
    cd \shares\<sharename>
    takeown /F <folder> /A /R /D Y
    cacls D:\Shares\<sharename>\<folder>\ /T /E /G Administrators:F
    Per my warning above, I make no promises that this will work. It shouldn't make your current situation worse if you've backed up your shares.

• Marked as answer by franklintec Monday, February 8, 2010 2:26 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Yes, Ken.. your last suggestion scared me a lot. 

..But it led me to a solution.  I read this link again http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech and noticed that I must click the box that sets ownership to child objects.   I had neglected to do this. 
    Once I had ownership of all the objects, I could delete the folder. 

I must say that I'm disappointed that the backup wizard script in Windows Home Server just disappears if it has a problem with permissions rather than giving an error report. 

Anyway... My backukps are working and I'm happy again. 

..Thanks again. 

Paul Franklin
    • Marked as answer by franklintec Monday, February 8, 2010 2:33 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Hi - I am suddenly getting that exact same error message when trying to backup the WHS server itself (the Shares) but had no such permissions updates.  It is completely befuddling me!  The PC backup process works great, but when I try to click on View Backups or Backup Now for my media server itself the Console crashes, and in Event Viewer it shows .NET 2.0 was the culprit:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.io.filenotfoundexception, P10 NIL.

I ran chkdsk on my c and d drives and no new errors.   However, my last WHS Shares backup (to an external USB drive) was done on 9/12/10 and I ran a chkdsk /x /r on my D: drive on 10/10/10 and it found about 73GB of bad sectors on a 1.5TB drive (refurbished, recently replaced under warranty for a really faulty Seagate drive).  Can some index data on the D: drive be  causing the problem?

At any rate, very frustrating.  Tried a "repair" on .NET 2.0 SP 2 and same result.

Any thoughts?  Time to replace my primary HDD and do a server reinstall?  Other potential solutions?

UPDATE:  I found in another thread (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/2754bd5f-6a4e-4931-af88-89ce6ac79f22/) a means to further diagnose is to check the HomeServerConsole logs (by doing Start, Run, %qlogs%) and found the io exception error appears related to WHS not seeming able to connect to the external USB drive:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The device is not ready. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070015)

I find this odd as the drive shows up fine in the Console, it recognizes it as a backup drive, etc.  I even tried removing it and restoring it as a backup drive.  I can also access it via RDP without issue, copy data from it, etc.  I am currently running full chkdsks on all my HDD's so the Backup service is down.  Once it's back up I suppose I can try removing the backup drive again and THIS TIME do a reformat and start over - but I certainly don't want to do that every time I want to backup!  Defeats the purpose of doing incremental backups for only new/changed data!

I actually recall now a prior, similar issue where the Console saw the external drive but wouldn't recognize it as being a backup drive and I had to wipe it clean and start fresh then too.  Does WHS have some kind of issue with communication to external USB drives?

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:26 PM
  • How does one get the results of a chkdsk run on the C: drive upon startup?

Thinking I'll just switch to a robocopy batchfile.  Many more options available and no bugs! ;}

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:31 AM