OneCare Restore Doesn't See the Backup Files from a PC Removed from the OneCare Circle RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had 3 computers in my OneCare circle.  All three computers used the same external hard drive for backups.  One of the computers crashed and is no longer working.

I removed the crashed computer from my OneCare circle.  Probably a mistake, hopefully not fatal.

Now I find that I need to restore some files that were backed up from the crashed computer, the one that is no longer part of the OnceCare circle.  These files will be restored to one of the 2 computers still in the OneCare circle.

While trying to run Restore from one of the remaining computers, Restore only sees the backup from the computer I am running restore from.  Restore does not see the backup from the crashed computer that I removed from the OneCare circle.

How do I restore the backup files from the crashed computer that is no longer part of my OneCare circle?

By the way, I can "drill" into the "Windows OneCare Backup" directory on the external hard drive and can see a sub-directory with the name of the computer that crashed and was removed from the OneCare circle. I can "float" over any of the 1155 different .ZIP files and see the files I need "inside" the .ZIP files.  So I know they exist.  I just can't get OneCare Restore to see them.

Please Help.  These files are VERY important to my business.

Thank you!

Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:21 PM

All replies

• You should be able to perform a custom restore from another computer and select the other backup set.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

7. Open OneCare.
    8. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    9. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    10. Click Custom Restore.
    11. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
        2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
        2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
        3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    12. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
        2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
        2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
        3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
        4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    13. Click Restore files.
    14. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

If the above is not working for you, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Referring to your reply, I don't have the "Restore files from a local backup" option.

When I start the restore command the first message I get is:

"OneCare cannot find a current or previous backup for this computer.  You might have changed hard drives or computers or backup device since your last backup, or the files you want to restore are from another computer.

To continue, connect the device or insert the disc that contains the backup you want to restore, and then click Next."

I have the firewire external drive with the backups from the 3 computers plugged into the local computer.  When the backups were made, this external drive was connected to the crashed computer.  Apparently, OneCare doesn't see this drive as "local".

Continuing, when I click Next and get 2 options:

Restore files from backup of another machine.

and

Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer

Either way I go here, Restore only sees the backups from the 2 remaining PCs.  With the second option, it shows a list of drives INCLUDING the external firewire drive I want.  When I select this drive, it only shows backups from 2 computers, not the one I need.  I know the backup from the crashed computer is on the drive, I see the directory and I can drill into it and see the .ZIP files with the files I need.

How do I get OneCare on my local PC to see the backup directory I need?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Was the crashed machine a Hub in your Circle and this was a Centralized backup location for all 3 computers?

-steve

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Was the crashed machine a Hub in your Circle and this was a Centralized backup location for all 3 computers?

-steve

No.  The PC I'm on now is the hub.  However, the centralized backup drive was attached to the crashed PC and was accessed as a network share from the other PC's in the circle.  I've now attached the external drive to another PC in the circle.

OneCare on the hub PC showed the other 2 PC's yesterday (one of which was the crashed PC).  I manually removed the crashed PC using OneCare yesterday.

Then today I discovered I needed files from the backup of the PC I removed.  Now OneCare can't see the backup files from the crashed PC to restore them.

I know, I'm an idiot.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:52 PM
  • No, I wouldn't say that you're an idiot. I think that the issue is that the Network Share was attached to another PC, so this location is now a new Share and it is confusing OneCare. What it perplexing is that the other backups are seen when doing the custom restore.

In any event, I recommend opening a support case. In the meantime, you can still access the files manually since you can see the zip files. It will just be painful to find the files you need from within them and you will need to rejoin any large files that the backup process may have split during the backup.

If you decide to go the manual route, this free utility will rejoin your split files:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:40 PM