a change has occured to your Windows License... RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,
    My boss's son has this error message on every start up.  He is asked to enter his product key.
    The laptop originally came with Home (Premium I think) and he upgraded it using the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate because that is what his school required.

The license key on his laptop sticker is for premium and therefore won't work.  The key in the file in his digital locker is rejected as being an upgrade license.  We have tried using slmgr to force a re-read of the license (Now he has to activate again.)  We have tried renaming tokens.dat to tokens.bak but on boot up it said windows would have to be re-installed.  Booting into safe mode let us fix that problem, but still the message comes up saying his license has changed and we need to retype the product key.

He does have a TTS: code.
    He does have a failed windows update in his logs, although it is 3 or 4 days older than the current problem.

Is there a number to call for this sort of situation (I am in Ontario Canada.)

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:40 PM

Answers

•  noneothername wrote:
    Greetings,
    My boss's son has this error message on every start up.  He is asked to enter his product key.
    The laptop originally came with Home (Premium I think) and he upgraded it using the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate because that is what his school required.

The license key on his laptop sticker is for premium and therefore won't work.  The key in the file in his digital locker is rejected as being an upgrade license.  We have tried using slmgr to force a re-read of the license (Now he has to activate again.) 

So at this point, Vista is asking to be reactivated? then re-activate by phone and that should resolve the issue.

If Vista is, in fact, still asking for a Product Key, then you have 2 options, that I am aware of:

1) Do an Upgrade (to Ultimate) on top of the current copy of Ultimate. During the upgrade, it should accept the Ultimate Upgrade key. (since you are "Technicly" doing an upgrade)

2) Use the Windows Restore process (described in the documentation that came with the laptop) to revert back to Home Premium and then Upgrade to Ultimate again.

Option #1 should be able to be done without a loss of data, but I strongly encourage you to back-up any importent files, just in case.

Option #2 will revert Vista back to how it was when it came from the factory. So any importent files must be backed up it you wish to save them.

If you do not like either option, I would suggest contacting Vista support by going to http://support.microsoft.com. Install/upgrade issues are usually supported at no cost, but since the core issue wasn't install/upgrade related, I can not be sure. Also depending on how long ago he first activated Ultimate, It may still be within it's free support time period. 

Very sorry I could be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:32 PM

All replies

•  noneothername wrote:
    Greetings,

The license key on his laptop sticker is for premium and therefore won't work.  The key in the file in his digital locker is rejected as being an upgrade license.  We have tried using slmgr to force a re-read of the license (Now he has to activate again.) 

So at this point, Vista is asking to be reactivated? then re-activate by phone and that should resolve the issue.

If Vista is, in fact, still asking for a Product Key, then you have 2 options, that I am aware of:

1) Do an Upgrade (to Ultimate) on top of the current copy of Ultimate. During the upgrade, it should accept the Ultimate Upgrade key. (since you are "Technicly" doing an upgrade)

2) Use the Windows Restore process (described in the documentation that came with the laptop) to revert back to Home Premium and then Upgrade to Ultimate again.

Option #1 should be able to be done without a loss of data, but I strongly encourage you to back-up any importent files, just in case.

Option #2 will revert Vista back to how it was when it came from the factory. So any importent files must be backed up it you wish to save them.

If you do not like either option, I would suggest contacting Vista support by going to http://support.microsoft.com. Install/upgrade issues are usually supported at no cost, but since the core issue wasn't install/upgrade related, I can not be sure. Also depending on how long ago he first activated Ultimate, It may still be within it's free support time period. 

Very sorry I could be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:32 PM
  • We are being told that windows may not be genuine and it needs to activate.  However, that seems to be superseded by the need to enter a product key as any attempt to use the the slui.exe 4 results in the pop up demanding a product key.

1) Apparently, the anytime upgrade is not supported from Ultimate.  We get an error when trying to go that route.

Option 2 is still on the table but not favourable.

The anytime upgrade was done in August, just before the school year started.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Hi noneothername,

I completely understand your reluctance for option #2.  That's why I also suggested talking to Vista support. While I have never encountered this specific scenario, I'm sure you aren't the first person to experiance it. So, my hope is that Vista support would be more experienced with this and able to supply better alteratives, then I can. 

Darin

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:54 AM
  • The WAU key is for a specific upgrade path, Basic to Premium, Basic to Ultimate, Premium to Ultimate, or Business to Ultimate.  Ultimate to Ultimate does not exist.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:11 PM
    Answerer