none
Student UAC inquiry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am studying for the 70-685 exam. One Test Prep from the school states that a Standard User can install an application with UAC disabled. I purchased a Practice Test from Measure Up. It states even with UAC disabled a Standard User cannot install an application without administrator rights. For purposes of getting the question right on the exam. Can a qualified System Administrator please clarify?

I cannot get a clean answer from TechNet or other internet sources.

Thanks,

TimothyJS

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:54 PM

Answers

• User Account Control (UAC) is a security component that allows an administrator to enter credentials during a non-administrator's user session to perform occasional administrative tasks.

If UAC is disabled and a standard user attempts to install an application it would simply fail due to insufficient rights.

You would need to manually select the executable to "Run as administrator" or use an alternative method such as application deployment via SCCM.

Friday, April 17, 2015 11:27 PM

All replies

• User Account Control (UAC) is a security component that allows an administrator to enter credentials during a non-administrator's user session to perform occasional administrative tasks.

If UAC is disabled and a standard user attempts to install an application it would simply fail due to insufficient rights.

You would need to manually select the executable to "Run as administrator" or use an alternative method such as application deployment via SCCM.

Friday, April 17, 2015 11:27 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

An Administrator token is still required.

Thanks, TimothyJS

Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:24 AM