Problem creating PWA site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm currently installing Project 2010 in an existing SharePoint 2010 farm environment. I created the Service Application and a new web application for the PWA site.

Now when I enter the PWA path (say: https://mypwa.intranet.de) and check the box for using the path as a host header, I get the following message on starting to create my PWA site:

The Project Web App site specified cannot be created because the site collection with that name exists or is referenced in an existing project object. Enter another Project Web App path and try again.

But I never created a site collection in that location. So what could be the matter here? Can I check, what site collection is disturbing set up?

By the way: I already used a host header to create my web application. Could there be something amiss with using two times a host header.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Gaski,

As i mentioned in my previous post, Go to application management, define managed path, delete 'root'.

Then try to provision PWA in "/" without selecting the Host header checkbox.

Thanks Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• I believe you are planning to create PWA in root site collection. https://mypwa.intranet.de

Since you already used the above FQDN in the alternate access mappings, you will not be able to use again.Now i give two options, either create the PWA in root site collection or remove the entry in alternate access mappings.

My vote goes to the following ...

Create PWA in '/' site collection

1. Go to application management, define manage path, delete 'root'

2. Create PWA, specify just "/" in the host header text box

So that the PWA will be created under the root site collection. Users can access the PWA using https://mypwa.intranet.de)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the advice. I deleted the root managed path, but I am getting the error nevertheless.

I also tried to type  https://mypwa.intranet.de. Just typing "/" as host header brought up the following error

The Project Web App Site path is invalid. Correct path and try again.

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Try to see if anything are entered into the ULS logs. That may be a good clue as to what is going wrong. Unfortunately, I can't see from your repro steps what went wrong.

Thanks,

Boaz Lev

MSFT

Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

When you put "/", do not select the Host header checkbox.

If possible, remove the that FQDN from Alternate Access Mappings, then try your earlier step.

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I don't find a clue in the ULS logfiles, sorry. It seems as if the action is aborted before it can be logged.

I tried to put in "/" without the host header checkbox selected, but it returns the same error about a site collection already being there.

I'll try to get our admin to remove the FQDN next, thanks for this tip. I'm curious if that does the trick.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Hello Gaski,

As i mentioned in my previous post, Go to application management, define managed path, delete 'root'.

Then try to provision PWA in "/" without selecting the Host header checkbox.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Did anyone ever get this to work? I am running Sharepoint 2007 and PRoject Server 2007.  In the end all I want is a project server team page where I can publish the tasks and have it show up on PWA site.  Now I need to have external access to this so I am trying to put the PWA site at the root "/".  I follow the steps listed here first:

http://juliocasal.com/archive/2009/11/02/team-foundation-server-2010-beta-2-office-sharepoint-server-2007-single-server-installation-part-1.aspx

After this I have a Tema page that I can access on the internal network and from the outside, however this is not the page I want.  I want my PWA site to work this way.  So I then installed project server and followed the steps above.  I goto "Define MAnaged PAth" and delete the 'root'.  I then started the PRoject server service and went to provision my site with just a forwardslash / and the "Host Header" checkbox not selected.  It then starts to provision stating "Waiting for Resources".  Then after a bit I hit refresh and I get "Failed - see the Event Log".  My event log contains the below errors:

Provisioning '/': Failed to create WSS site. - Error Event ID 6950 and

Failed to provision site /. - Error Event ID 6971

If anyone has any clue as to what I am doing wrong and howI can go about getting this to work, please post.  Thanks!!

Dan

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I was getting the same error.  The final fix was just to delete the managed path in CA for my PWA web application. 

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:50 PM