none
SyncToy 2.1 x64 Error Messages RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop running Vista x64.

I acquired a 2 Tb Western Digital Worldbook for backing up files from laptop and other computers. I have been using the WD Worlsbook for a couple of months and have been syncing / backing up laptop to Worldbook via manual "Drag and Drop" of directories and files. Its a manual process but it works.

I wanted to automate my sync / backup process and recently downloaded SyncToy 2.1 x64 and installed with no problems.

I did several small sync(s) (5 - 10 Gb) with no problems.

I then attempted to sync my laptop music collection with the backup collection on the Worldbook. I set up to pairing like I did with all other Syncs I performed and hit "RUN". SyncToy ran just as it always has and then hangs up with the follwing error messages:

Exception during run: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while writing a change. Updating file *\*\*\  

What are these error messages? What can I do to fix these error messages?

Any ideas?

Monday, March 1, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• I have seen an issue with synctoy where it will fail if either file system is FAT. Are your source and destination disks both NTFS? 
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I have seen an issue with synctoy where it will fail if either file system is FAT. Are your source and destination disks both NTFS?

Who can give an answer? Thanks very much!
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Can you copy the complete error details from the sync log.  This can be found by opening SyncToy, going to the File menu and click on SyncToy Log.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Software Engineer in Test II Microsoft Synchronization Framework
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:24 AM
  • SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:06:39:808: Started scanning directory : F:\My Music\
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:06:39:808: Started scanning directory : C:\Users\Ray\Music\
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:06:44:472: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Users\Ray\Music\
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:06:48:544: Stopped scanning directory : F:\My Music\
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:06:52:335: Preview of My Music (F:\My Music\, C:\Users\Ray\Music\) in time 00:00:12:526.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'
    Found 3268 actions to perform.
    Found 2,260 files that did not require action.
    Analyzed 180.4 files per second.
    Avoided copying 7,225,142,984 bytes in 2,260 files.
    Saved approximately 04:00:50:00 by not copying any files.
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:08:17:448: *** Exception during run: {0} : 
     Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncDataConverter sourceConverter, SyncDataConverter destinationConverter, SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 08/09/2011 14:08:17:448: *** Exception during run: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
    Ray Burnett
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I see Rburnett posted as requested with no answer, and now I am having this problem, and my results are similar, so can someone please help with this.

Thank you

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:19 PM
  • We're experiencing the same problem nearly 7 years later and revel in the tech support response above: send us and error log - and get lost. This kind of technical support is insulting. Cheers
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:34 PM