How to order Server Install on CD instead of DVD RRS feed

• Question

• When I first logged in for the beta I was given the option of ordering the server install on CD if I didn't have a DVD. The system I was going to use had a DVD but now I find out the BIOS won't boot from DVD.

Anyone know the link for ordering the CD's?

Thanks.

Friday, March 9, 2007 10:18 PM

Answers

• Thank you folks - this is closed.

Bad MB. Swapped out with another spare system. Everything works. Life is good.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:06 PM

All replies

• The installation disc only comes in DVD format. The connector and restore discs are the only discs that come on CD. Why won't your BIOS boot from a DVD?! Any computer with a DVD drive should be able to boot off it! (unless its pre-1996.. lol) Are you sure you burnt the DVD correctly?
    Friday, March 9, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Steve-

The DVD is burnt correctly and verified. The problem is not there - the BIOS has no selection for booting from the DVD. Just floppy, HD or CD. Disconnecting the CDROM (and leaving the DVD hooked up) didn't cut it. BTW - the computer is about 2 years old. Strange, I know...

MS did offer an option of obtaining the install files on 2 CDs if the tester did not have a DVD available.

Friday, March 9, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Courtney-

Have you checked to see if you have the most current BIOS for your mobo? I too have a 2 year old pc that I am running WHS off of and I had to flash my BIOS in order to boot from DVD.

Friday, March 9, 2007 11:27 PM
  • Gmay -

Thanks for your suggestion. I took the easy way out and just pulled another computer from the closet. This one seems to be handling the install fine.

Appreciate the reply.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:01 AM
  • I really hate to say this.   But just because the BIOS does not specifically say "Boot from DVD"  It will likely still boot from DVD in a DVD ROM drive.    The bios is still pretty much a carry over from the old days, and does not show DVD drives,  usually lists them as a CD Drive because they can read both.

Most likely it will still boot from the dvd. 
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:56 AM
  • I will have to disagree with that statement. I have a biostar motherboard that is only four years old, I have the latest bios update and have tried many different combinations to burn the dvd. All fail to boot from the dvd .iso file.  I have finally decided the bios will not support loadiing from a dvd with this file type at least. what i do not understand is why the win XP dvd loads ok.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Try flashing the BIOS?

just a thought :-)
    Monday, March 12, 2007 2:45 AM
  • I never saw any option of installing from CD in fact the nomination survey asks:

Can you dedicate a computer to testing Windows Home Server (512+ MB RAM, 80+ GB hard disk space, 1+ Ghz Processor and can boot from a DVD drive)?

As far as booting from DVD vs. CD, the only thing that your motherboard is concerned with is whether you have an ATAPI device that contains El Torito media. Your motherboard sees the DVD drive as a big CD-ROM drive and the El Torito spec doesn't care about the size of your media.

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:13 AM
  •  marv_coulson wrote:
    I will have to disagree with that statement. I have a biostar motherboard that is only four years old, I have the latest bios update and have tried many different combinations to burn the dvd. All fail to boot from the dvd .iso file.  I have finally decided the bios will not support loadiing from a dvd with this file type at least. what i do not understand is why the win XP dvd loads ok.

You say "fail to boot from the dvd .iso file". Does this mean you simply copied the iso file to the DVD or did you burn it as an image? You have to use the iso file to create a fuull image, then the DVD will be bootable. Not all CD-burning software supports this, especially if you have the OEM 'Lite' version of software like Sonic for instance.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Thank you folks - this is closed.

Bad MB. Swapped out with another spare system. Everything works. Life is good.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:06 PM