outlook offline client sync through external web address? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have several reps who use the Outlook client with offline access. So far, the only way I can get the synchronization to work is by having them connect to our LAN (in the office) when trying to sync. We have IFD configured and I've put in the URL in the configuration under External Web Address. My question is whether it's possible for the offline client to synch ("Go Online") with CRM through IFD (just as if they were on our LAN) or am I expecting too much. Just want to make sure it's possible before I start heavy troubleshooting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:55 PM

Answers

• The trick is that they have to have CRM configured to use the IFD URL, not the LAN address.  When you run the configuration wizard, you will reach a screen where you enter in your crm address.  There is a second field on the bottom where you enter in the external URL.  By default, a checkbox is checked that makes the bottom field match the top one--uncheck the checkbox and enter the IFD URL in the bottom one.

If you need to run the Configuration wizard again, you can launch it from the crm 4.0 program group in the start menu.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:39 PM

All replies

• Yes you can, they would not make IFD if it was not compatible with offline access.

Basically all it does it grabs all the records the user wants and stores them in it's own database for offline access.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:45 PM
  • thanks. since my post i've opened a support case with Microsoft because I was receiving an unknown error and apparently they're in development of a hotfix for the issue I'm having.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:54 PM
  • The trick is that they have to have CRM configured to use the IFD URL, not the LAN address.  When you run the configuration wizard, you will reach a screen where you enter in your crm address.  There is a second field on the bottom where you enter in the external URL.  By default, a checkbox is checked that makes the bottom field match the top one--uncheck the checkbox and enter the IFD URL in the bottom one.

If you need to run the Configuration wizard again, you can launch it from the crm 4.0 program group in the start menu.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:39 PM